How much school is missed for HS ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I won't be too long-winded here, but there are numerous layers which factor into my thinking on the subject, not the least of which is the general de-emphasis of basic education I see all across California. The students get out early EVERY Monday and take more holidays than government workers. I know that the vast majority of "necessary learning" takes place outside the classroom - this is an incontrovertible fact - but it's impossible for me to remove my own background from my position on why it's important to attend class, regardless of whether a student is in public school, private school, home school, whatever.

I'm learning to think of their full-day absences as a bit of preparation for what life would be like for the college athlete, but being totally honest, it's likely that only 1/4 of her team will play at the next level. It just does not make sense to me for a PRE-SEASON HS tournament to take the kids out of school for Thursday and Friday. To me, a more sensible format would be to have the teams play an alternate day-evening schedule if they have to be 2 weekdays. I can understand missing more school for playoffs.

Apart from the expectation of classroom performance, my experience as a former student-athlete does not and cannot translate at all to hers, but at the same time, it's difficult for me not to see this new reality as just another step in the continued overvaluation sports and entertainment.

Mar 26, 2013
I'm learning to think of their full-day absences as a bit of preparation for what life would be like for the college athlete, but being totally honest, it's likely that only 1/4 of her team will play at the next level. It just does not make sense to me for a PRE-SEASON HS tournament to take the kids out of school for Thursday and Friday. To me, a more sensible format would be to have the teams play an alternate day-evening schedule if they have to be 2 weekdays. I can understand missing more school for playoffs.
Is it really a pre-season tourney where the games don't count in their overall W-L record?

Statewide rules bar playing on Sundays, so that forces tourneys to play on weekdays and/or multiple weekends. Southern Section rules limit teams to 2 games/day. Major tourneys that draw teams from outside the area usually are 3 full days, Thu-Sat. IME the other tourneys only play afternoons/evenings on weekdays and the coach picked the tourneys.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is sickly and home schoolèd for the last 4 years.

She is doing well in home schoolèd but not sure we're she will end up.

What I like about SB is the interaction which I think she misses being home schoolèd.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Our entire team has "Strength Building" as their last class. They get to start practice during it each day. My DD and another from the middle school had their schedule changed for the second semester to give them PE last period. They leave the MS at 2:00 each day and go to the HS.

They will only miss a couple of classes this year during the regular season. We are playing a home and home against another school and starting them at 1:00 so students can attend. Outside of that they will miss classes for the area tourney and hopefully the regional and state finals.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Ya'll better start planning that trip. :)

Did I see that you will be at Hendersonville soon?

Us, and about 100 other AAA teams are thinking about that trip right now, lol! We aren't going to Hendersonville this year. Going to Gulf Shores, AL, one local and Greeneville, TN tourney this year.

Mar 9, 2017
Mississippi
Hardly any on our team in Mississippi. Only exception is long road trips. The girls, mainly jr high girls, my have to leave before last period is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi