How many years will an 11 y.o. use a Vinci Fortus?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2016
Deep South
First of all thank you to everyone who has ever posted on the topic of 10/12U catchers mitts because I've probably read your comment. I'm leaning toward getting a Vinci Fortus, despite these stories of break-in time. How long do you think she'll use it before we have to move up or it breaks down? She has normal sized hands, and the 34 inch mitts look gi-normous on her right now!

Who knew I could spend this much time researching a glove?!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Great glove, I am not sure DD would have the patience to break it in at that age.

It will last for years and years if she takes care of it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Deep South
I would guess the next glove you buy will be her mitt that she will leave your house with.

You're bringing tears to my eyes, but I thank you for it!

Patience is not her virtue, but I hate spending money twice, so it sounds like it might make more sense to pay more now so that the glove sticks around...

Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Great glove, I am not sure DD would have the patience to break it in at that age.

It will last for years and years if she takes care of it.

Pitchers dad's can be a great resource for breaking in new gloves, especially catchers mitts, just make sure they do not have ginormous hands!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
First of all thank you to everyone who has ever posted on the topic of 10/12U catchers mitts because I've probably read your comment. I'm leaning toward getting a Vinci Fortus, despite these stories of break-in time. How long do you think she'll use it before we have to move up or it breaks down? She has normal sized hands, and the 34 inch mitts look gi-normous on her right now!

Who knew I could spend this much time researching a glove?!

Hard to say how long it will last, because a lot of it depends on the amount of use and the quality of the care it receives along the way. It could be the last catchers mitt you ever buy considering she only needs it through high school - if she plays college softball the team will probably provide gloves.

May 28, 2014
The Fortus is targeted for that 8-13 year range - its extremely easy to break in and should last you a few years with out any issues. Its a great go between glove from the basic ones at the sporting goods store and the upper end gloves that everyone carries. The extreme break in time with Vinci really only applies to their upper end gloves.

Jul 21, 2015
Break in on the Fortus isn't bad at all. Just play lots of catch with someone throwing fairly hard...or pitching machine. As mentioned above, if your daughter isn't comfortable catching higher velo pitchers yet, have a bucket dad or mom of an older pitcher help (as long as they don't have large hands). Ours took about a week to break in with a 12u pitcher who throws in the low 50s.

Jun 12, 2016
Deep South
Between the Easton Core, Easton Synergy, and Vinci Fortus, the winner was the Vinci. The Easton Core didn't have the padding at all - despite being closer in price to the Vinci. The Easton Synergy was actually much closer structurally to the Vinci Fortus than the Easton Core. The Vinci just had the best pocket when we tested them with some throws. Vinci Fortus - it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1