How many tournaments are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, it is getting close to burn out. Part of this is there are too many softball orgs. I know I feel guilty about our number of tourneys.

And here come the overuse injuries. You may think the girls are fine now, but they start quitting softball around age 15-16. They definitely quit after college, when there used to be adult fastpitch for years after college. So if this is what we want, then this is what we get.

The ex-players don't coach the rec and travel like they used to. I never saw a man coaching fastpitch softball in person (or a parent coaching any sport) until I saw the kids take up travel.

I talk to the young women in college and HS every day. Several are burnt out and looking for the end. Not good.

I'd disagree somewhat. I think the reason that the numbers of girls dropping out of softball in the teens, is mostly due to boys, and the increased pressure of school. I'm sure there are a good many though, that just get tired of the weekly grind associated with playing. That could be due to lack of drive? I'm guesstimating, but I'd say "most" of the women coaches or women who give lessons here, are former college players, or those who played at a high level. We probably don't hear about "after college", because it's pretty much rec and beer leagues after that. My coworker pitched D1 during college. In her 30's now, she plays in a co-ed slowpitch league. Not something that we see advertised on websites, and they're not exactly selling tickets to the games. I think there are certainly overuse injuries, and they should be taken seriously. But I don't think they're that common.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Most athletes don't give up solely or even at all because of boys (myth) or homework pressure;

Agree...it is usually other extra-curricular activities, like band, choir, after-school job, etc. Kids grow up and make choices about what they want to do with their spare time. Not everyone loves softball.

Jun 21, 2010
I don't know the numbers but aren't there a LOT more travel teams these days than there were 5 or 10 years ago? My guess is that more kids are dropping out because there are so many more kids playing in the first place.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Well we signed up for the tour so well approach it positively and I'll let you know how we fare. I'll send a picture of Dad on the last day of Pony Nationals...:cool:

Nov 29, 2009
I was just thinking 10 plus some one day friendlies in the spring might be a bit much. Seems some of the showcase teams only do 5 or 6 showcases.

You're talking two different animals here. A 10U/12U and some 14U teams will start before the 16U/18U teams. They have the players available to them all spring.

The older teams have to deal with the girls playing HS ball till the first part of June is some cold weather states. That leaves them the 2nd week in June to the 3rd week in July. Not much time to play more than 6 tournaments or showcases. After that it's national tournaments and tryouts again.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Agree...it is usually other extra-curricular activities, like band, choir, after-school job, etc. Kids grow up and make choices about what they want to do with their spare time. Not everyone loves softball.

But a lot of girls who do love softball are being asked (forced) into making a choice and sometimes they love basketball or band or whatever even more. I see it at 12u where girls are being told they need to commit to a softball team 10 months of the year. Girls at that age are still figuring out who they are and what they want to do. Sometimes when faced with that pressure, they leave softball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I see it at 12u where girls are being told they need to commit .
My wife who isn't sports minded indicated that same sentiment the other night re DD's softball and Basketball. She excels at both and is being recruited for an AAU BB team. I guess you don't have to stop playing other sports but two travel sports are one too many.

Feb 12, 2011
My daughters team is a 2nd yr 14u and we are scheduled for 8 tourneys from Memorial Day straight through mid July, then Nationals. I have been on this schedule since she was 1st year 10u (except for Nationals) so I am used to it. I don't think they get burned out as much as they use that as an excuse because they may hear us talk about it. It is they only way to keep getting better is to keep playing and playing at a high level against the best possible competition.

Nov 1, 2009
We play 12 tournaments between now and nationals. Each year it seems like we get rained out a couple of times so we end up usually playing in 10 which has given us 60-80 games in a season. Our girls have all had fun, but to parents it is a huge commitment of time and money. The one caveat I would put out there is if your daughter plays for a screamer this schedule would be way to many games. The teams I have seen have problems with games really came down to a girl playing for an #$%^&&%! Take good care of your kids and don't let someone else treat them worse than you do.

Feb 12, 2011
My DD's 2nd Yr 14U team will play 8 tournaments and Nationals begining Memorial Day. Seems pretty standard. Only way to get better is to keep playing and working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch