How many pitches should a 10u throw in one day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2010
I'm wondering what other girs out there are capable of at this age. If I'm in a tournament, should I be keeping track of number of pitches. Some tournaments, I may want to pitch her three games, but what is the limit??

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would limit her to 7 innings per day. That would probably be 1.5 games per day if you have a time limited tournament.

I think counting pitches doesn't tell the story. If you have a CD (crazy daddy), she could throw a 100 pitches just for warm ups.

Mar 15, 2010
When DD was a 10U limit was 10 innings or about 2 games. She had to pitch 3 in one day when #2 picher got hurt and it was a disaster. Got tired and started to toss instead of pitch.

Oct 18, 2009
We were in a 10U open mostly A tournament last year. There was this one "B" level team with one dominant pitcher. She threw 21 innings in 3 games on Sunday to win the tournament. She wasn't a real fireballer but threw hard enough with enough movement and location to keep hitters off balance. Her motion looked so efficient and effortless that after the finals it looked like she could throw a few more games. I don't know how her arm felt after all that pitching so I can't say extended use like this wouldn't be bad but depending on pitching style I can see some pitchers able to pitch longer than others.

That being said... I'd say 2 games would be the max I'd put most 10u pitchers out there for on Sunday. I'd also limit the pregame warmup of that pitcher if I knew she was going to pitch more than one game.

Apr 13, 2010
I think it depends on the kid, how long the innings are, how big the rest gap is between games, how her arm feels.

If you want her in three games find a way to get her some rest during the games. If you're getting blown out or blowing someone out take her out for someone else and save her arm.

2 games is a good rule of thumb but it all depends on how you manage it.

Jan 12, 2010
My daughter is big for her age and athletic. Last year at 10u, we would throw her a game and a half on Saturday, and two games on Sunday. She never got soar, and really seemed like she was throwing her best in her last game on Sunday. I would never try three in one day at 10u, although I have seen it from other teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck