How many pitchers is too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
How many is too many I think 4 is a good answer.

The odds of #4 getting any quality circle time is ZERO there just simply are not enough innings to go around; if you are treating #1, #2 and #3 right.

The #1 pitcher expects and should earn 50% of the time otherwise they are not really #1 are they. This means most all bracket games unless there are extenuating circumstances. #2 should get a pool game and maybe a half maybe and pitch when #1 struggles or is hurt; but #1 needs a pool game at least too so she can stay sharp. #3 Gets mop up duties when ahead or behind and maybe a pool game or half a pool game or two.

P.S. this assumes 3 quality pitcher and not a project pitcher or two

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
How many is too many I think 4 is a good answer.

The odds of #4 getting any quality circle time is ZERO there just simply are not enough innings to go around; if you are treating #1, #2 and #3 right.

The #1 pitcher expects and should earn 50% of the time otherwise they are not really #1 are they. This means most all bracket games unless there are extenuating circumstances. #2 should get a pool games and a half maybe; but #1 needs a pool game too so she can stay sharp. #3 Gets mop up duties when ahead or behind and maybe one pool game or half a pool game or two.
Exactly this. So I guess the answer is, 4 pitchers is wonderful for the team, and not great for the pitchers.

And if they ALL think they're #1, as OP says? You're going to have unhappy families, and likely those girls will head for other teams if you're lucky enough to keep them all season.

Jul 25, 2015
Disclaimer - my DD is NOT a pitcher. I'm just an outside observer...one of DD's friends just left her team to go to this team...

1st yr 14U Team has 4 pitchers who all think they will be the #1...what are the chances this is going to work out well? They are all very good pitchers.

If it works, you need to nominate the HC for coach of the year... The scenario you presented for 14U will not work out or end well and you can expect drama... I don't care how good all four of them are, there is one ace, one striving to be the ace and two fighting for the cleanup/closer/relief slot... The one that ends up in the 4 slot will always "be better" than the ace or at least that will be the opinion of her parents and possibly her...

After 10U a team doesn't really need more than 3 pitchers, provided they all remain healthy... Many do very well with only 2...

Apr 26, 2015
Ok - a little more info on the team and the girls. 1st year 14UB team.
HC does not have a DD on the team - but he is very laid back and doesn't push the girls. This is why their 3rd pitcher who was their #1 last year left. She felt like they were stagnant.
2 pitchers are returning from last year. Both very good.
1 new pitcher who comes with her sister as a catcher - known to be a great pitcher, but Dad - wow! He is a piece of work! Played 12U last year - only pitcher on the team who could throw a strike. Left her old team because she wanted more than one pitcher (or so she says)
Other new pitcher is a 2nd yr 14's player who was #1 on her team last year.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Ok - a little more info on the team and the girls. 1st year 14UB team.
HC does not have a DD on the team - but he is very laid back and doesn't push the girls. This is why their 3rd pitcher who was their #1 last year left. She felt like they were stagnant.
2 pitchers are returning from last year. Both very good.
1 new pitcher who comes with her sister as a catcher - known to be a great pitcher, but Dad - wow! He is a piece of work! Played 12U last year - only pitcher on the team who could throw a strike. Left her old team because she wanted more than one pitcher (or so she says)
Other new pitcher is a 2nd yr 14's player who was #1 on her team last year.

So if this is not a high level travel team, there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

2nd year 14 will want all the circle time.
Daddy-diva will want all the circle time.

Other 2 will feel like chopped liver, because they were there first and feel entitled.

HC will run around telling everyone what he thinks they want to hear until it implodes in July.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Usually, a team wants two quality pitchers and one more pitcher who can fill in for some junk innings. Four pitchers is one pitcher too many. It is impossible to keep that many pitchers happy.

If you go over to the Pitching Forum, we routinely tell parents to find a team where the kid can pitch at least 40% of the innings.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have an 18U team where I have 4 pitchers which the most that is workable. To [MENTION=332]sluggers[/MENTION] point two of them are older with significant experience with each throwing the equivalent of a full game and maybe then some on Saturday. I have 2 others that I am developing that will essentially split the remaining game. They have bought into the process and are fine with this amount of time. When a developing pitcher is in the circle one of the experienced pitchers is encouraging her and ready to step in if things go South. I will not let a pitcher specialize and become a PO until they are headed into their Senior year. Even then only if the pros outweigh the cons based on their skills and where they appear to be headed.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I have an 18U team where I have 4 pitchers which the most that is workable. To [MENTION=332]sluggers[/MENTION] point two of them are older with significant experience with each throwing the equivalent of a full game and maybe then some on Saturday. I have 2 others that I am developing that will essentially split the remaining game. They have bought into the process and are fine with this amount of time. When a developing pitcher is in the circle one of the experienced pitchers is encouraging her and ready to step in if things go South. I will not let a pitcher specialize and become a PO until they are headed into their Senior year. Even then only if the pros outweigh the cons based on their skills and where they appear to be headed.
You are, as always, a voice of wisdom and knowledge. I wish all other coaches took this approach. You are truly interested in developing the girls and helping them achieve success. They are lucky ladies.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Other things to consider are vacations (etc) and quality of team.

Vacations - If you carry less than 3 pitchers, you will need to be very careful with your tournament schedule or have another pitcher available to guest for a weekend. Entering a tournament with 2 pitchers and then watching one roll an ankle on Saturday could make for a short day on Sunday.

Team Quality - If your team typically only plays one bracket game per weekend, it will be difficult to satisfy more than 2 pitchers. If your team plays six or more games per tournament, there should be plenty of innings to keep 3 pitchers happy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00