How many outs do we give away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I've had a lot off throwing and catching issues lately. Talking about it only goes so far. I decided to make it crystal clear that we need to concentrate on proper throwing and catching mechanics.

I told them that during warmup any ball that hits the ground stays there and they get a new ball.

At the end of warmups they collected and counted these dropped balls. There were 12.

It became obvious to them we were going to give the opposition 39 outs not 27 and all the runs that go with it.

They now put together a goal to keep the ball off the ground. In this case seeing made them believe.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I've had a lot off throwing and catching issues lately. Talking about it only goes so far. I decided to make it crystal clear that we need to concentrate on proper throwing and catching mechanics.

I told them that during warmup any ball that hits the ground stays there and they get a new ball.

At the end of warmups they collected and counted these dropped balls. There were 12.

It became obvious to them we were going to give the opposition 39 outs not 27 and all the runs that go with it.

They now put together a goal to keep the ball off the ground. In this case seeing made them believe.
This high school?
? Talking about throwing only goes so far Lands on the ground? Catchers cant throw and reach 2nd base from their crouch to feet
Agree they should be able to make throw on target in the air.
Whats your coaching opinion of bad throws?
-No mental application?
-Spazing out in the moment?
-Or not so great mechanics?

If their atleast throwing it straight...and bouncing infront... Atleast its on target
(in line)
The other infielders should be working on that defensive skill set receiving throw in the dirt.
(on the bounce)

Catchers throwing is from a crouch are seperate set of throwing mechanics.
Comming from a different approach crouch into the throw.
This suggestion add energy often helps~
*Have to learn bursting out into throw.
Much prefer catchers burst foward, gain a little ground producing energy into throw!

( NOT pop straight up and spin in place. that pulls shoulders and hips, weight backwards while arm shoulder try to come forward into throw)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
He is coaching a girls baseball team, which is possible. DD's former teammate's older sister played on the Girls National Baseball team a few years ago.

That makes sense. Figured just slip of the tongue and made me chuckle.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
This high school?
? Talking about throwing only goes so far Lands on the ground? Catchers cant throw and reach 2nd base from their crouch to feet
-No mental application?

If their atleast throwing it straight...and bouncing infront... Atleast its on target
(in line)
The other infielders should be working on that defensive skill set receiving throw in the dirt.
(on the bounce)

Much prefer catchers burst foward, gain a little ground producing energy into throw!

( NOT pop straight up and spin in place. that pulls shoulders and hips, weight backwards while arm shoulder try to come forward into throw)
This high school?
-No mental application?

(in line)
(on the bounce)

Believe it or not this poor throwing is part of our pre-practice and pre-game warm up routine. The girls start out 10 feet from each other with the glove side knee down, move to standing no leg movement (twist and throw), simulate grounder and throw, simulate fly ball and throw, and finally the quick throw (back and forth quick catch and return throw as a 5 person team)

I have demonstrated time after time proper technique and throwing. Oh then do it somewhat correct albeit for 1 or 2 throws and revert back on throw 3 and that goes for each variant throw. In the mean time throws are missing their target from 10-20 feet apart.

These kids are 15-16 y/o freshman and sophomores in HS I have exactly 1 week to work with 12 players from the ground up to correct all the bad technique they learned from other sources and this includes hitting before games are played. I am positive and try to make the most subtle changes so they can see improvement which is why i came up with visual on throwing. Remember this is a 2 way street, they have to WANT to be helped for this to work.

ce routine
They use bad technique

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Believe it or not this poor throwing is part of our pre-practice and pre-game warm up routine. The girls start out 10 feet from each other with the glove side knee down, move to standing no leg movement (twist and throw), simulate grounder and throw, simulate fly ball and throw, and finally the quick throw (back and forth quick catch and return throw as a 5 person team)

I have demonstrated time after time proper technique and throwing. Oh then do it somewhat correct albeit for 1 or 2 throws and revert back on throw 3 and that goes for each variant throw. In the mean time throws are missing their target from 10-20 feet apart.

These kids are 15-16 y/o freshman and sophomores in HS I have exactly 1 week to work with 12 players from the ground up to correct all the bad technique they learned from other sources and this includes hitting before games are played. I am positive and try to make the most subtle changes so they can see improvement which is why i came up with visual on throwing. Remember this is a 2 way street, they have to WANT to be helped for this to work.

ce routine
They use bad technique
*recognize on forums hard to write down all details...
Commenting further on throwing topic as it may reach additional readers/posters.

~Did i miss reading about FOOT WORK and STEPPING INTO OUR THROW in your post?!!!

Team PreWarm ups Throwing from knee is usually only a snapping drill.
Not distance

Twist and throw?
(do you mean stay in place?)

Are you having them step/pivot/come forward into their throw?
Even grounders are
Field and step/pivot forward threw the play to throw.

(If throwing standing in place twisting.
There in lies a poor habit
-staying in place.)

Need weight/body transfer. With foot work, initial step and pivot with a moving body.
Legs/hips/core to shoulder and arm.

Agree to your comment about teaching/coaching...the player/student has to want to apply themselves.

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Those upper body twist and throw are some of the Wasserman drills. He was a guest speaker in our area last year so I asked him for a warm up routine for throwing and that's what I got.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Those upper body twist and throw are some of the Wasserman drills. He was a guest speaker in our area last year so I asked him for a warm up routine for throwing and that's what I got.
Wasserman or anyone who does that drill...
(which i am not commenting is good or bad)
That drill is not my point!

You overlooked the point of my post.
*To your post needing longer throws!!!!

My post includes MORE conversation to
Mechanics about throwing.
Guess that got glanced over...

Still Glad to have made the point throwing is more than upper body.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi