How Many Defensive Coaches on Field During Time Out (Little League)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
How many defensive coaches are allowed on the field at one time? Last night the opposing team had their pitching coach and head coach on the field at the same time during at stoppage in play. The pitching coach was talking to the pitcher, the head coach talking to the infield and catcher. I am not sure if that is legal or not. This is little league.

Thank you,
Robert

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm pretty sure that unless it is an injury timeout, only one coach allowed.
Though at younger ages there are often house exceptions that allow more coaching.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The punishment could be 2 charged time outs, maybe. They need to figure this out before districts, because then, everything starts getting called.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The Little League Rule book indicates that a manager or coach can have a defensive conference with the pitcher or any defensive player. I would assume that the umpire would know and would not allow the second coach to come out for the conference.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Thank you. This was a district tournament game, but the umps didn't know the rule and I didn't either. If we meet them again I will be ready.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
LL allows coaches to be on the field for instructional purposes for Minors and below. I don't think it's allowed during tounrnament play, but I don't have a book on me to be sure. I do recall the book specifically stating that "A" manager or coach may come out of the dugout for a conference.

Mar 2, 2013
I will double check the Little League book, but I don't think there is a limit to the number of coaches. And why would there be? As long as the conference is over within the time allotted, who cares?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA