How Many Catchers from 10U end up being the catcher by 12U, 14U ball....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
All depends on the girl IMO. My DD is in her first year of 10U, and she's the catcher. When she's not behind the plate, she's either at 3rd, or playing LF (outstanding at tracking fly balls, but has a catchers build, so she doesn't cover a tone of ground). She's become somewhat PsychoStalker about being behind the plate. She's in her 3rd week of lessons (working on blocking and framing) and her instructor said she's got the one thing that it really takes to be a catcher, and that's passion.

I think you can see it in the girls that are truly Catchers. They're the ones that run Triangles harder than everyone else, come out of the games covered with sweat and dirt, and are genuinely PISSED whenever they lose. I'm not saying anyone's DD's can feel this way and not be a Catcher, but from what I've seen, the girls that spend 4 hours on a Saturday in the 98 degree heat, wearing/lugging all of that equipment around, squatting up and down, have something in their brains that others don't is all.

Prime Example: DD caught three games two weeks ago. At the end of the second game, they were down, and she hit a ball over everybody and rounded the bases (275 ft field...like I said, she's not a track star). She was so exhausted when she got to the dugout, and after we won that game and had to play another one right after, she started throwing the equipment back on. HC told her he was going to let another girl catch this next game since she'd been out there all day. The look on her face was PRICELESS (as in, the HELL YOU ARE GOING TO LET SOMEONE ELSE BACK THERE. THAT'S MY PLATE!!!). Kinda made my chest puff out a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06