How Many Catchers from 10U end up being the catcher by 12U, 14U ball....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
So I am interested in the opinions of coaches of Older TB teams.
How many of your catchers from 10U ball actually came to grow and earn the
starting role as your catcher by 12U or higher level of play? I know many things can
change over time with positions as players grow and develop. However I find Pitchers and
Catchers are a unique breed. The ones who REALLY get into it seem to stick in the role
around here and get much better over time.
This is merely a chance to hear opinions so please....no turning this into a discussion about
how long one should play or how we should move kids around in positions at young ages,
etc...Thanks in advance.;)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The 2 catchers during my dds 10u years. Now that they are 14/15, 1 is no longer playing the game, and the other is my dd who is the #1 pitcher on her team but just recently started catching again when the #2 pitches, picked off a inattentive runner at 2nd base today.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IME, the answer for a 10U catcher or pitcher typically is the same. If they were a player that caught (or pitched), they weren't playing that position several years later. If they were a catcher (or pitcher), they probably continued to play the position.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I can't speak for one of the catchers on DD's 14U team but I know 2 have been catchers since 10U. DD being one of them. She wears it like a badge of courage, proudly displaying any bumps or bruises received behind the plate.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
From what I have seen, more catchers stay as catchers than pitchers staying as pitchers. I have also noticed that catchers and pitchers at young ages tend to be the better athletes and are still playing softball at older ages and higher levels.

Jul 26, 2010
I know a lot of catchers who were always catchers. I also know a few who learned at 12u and even 14u. Catching requires physical ability, presence ,and gamesmanship, to go along with the mechanics. The mechanics can be taught and practiced much more easily and quicker then say, pitching, so long as the player already has a good overhand throw.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is 98' and she views catching as something special, bordering on superior in positions even though she plays MI and OF as well.

I'm amazed at her knowledge of the game, assesment of pitchers and how best to pitch batters in certain circumstances. In order to stick with it and excell, I suspect it requires a greater curiosity of the game and it's strategies. In 10U rec we used to make kids take turns doing it. Once DD got her own helmet she was happy to catch all the time.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
What I've noticed at the 14U level is the catcher is the best athlete on the field. This is just what I've seen, purely from an athletic perspective- how the girl moves, her coordination, her power and speed, natural aggression and confidence. If you have a 10U ATHLETE, chances are, if she loves catching, is a student of the game, and has flawless throwing mechanics, she'll still be good at the upper levels. Most of the athletic catchers I remember from 10U are still playing at 14. The few who just didn't seem to be very coordinated or who didn't have a natural throw are no longer catching.

18GoldDad

Livin the Dream!!!
May 13, 2012
Left Coast
My 15 year old DD started catching at 10u and is now starting her second season at the 18 Gold level. IMO, the toughest position to master. To become successful it takes dedication, hours of practice, leadership, softball knowledge and pride.

When she's not behind the plate she sees time in the outfield. However, her first love is Catching.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06