How long to warm up before a game???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2012
don't understand what you mean about 10 1/2 to 3/4 motions. Why not just start throwing easy with regular motion? Then after she reaches full speed work on breaking pitches.

Oct 22, 2009
Yes, every pitcher is different, I've seen ones that take a long time (My own DD) and those that run through a few pitches and are good to go.

With my own DD it didn't matter how long she warmed up for it was still going to take the first inning for her to truly settle into the game. Opposing coaches knew that and always instructed their hitters to go in swinging hard, because if you were going to score you were going to do it in the first inning.
Personally I think runs on the board was what made her actually "warm up".:rolleyes:

May 7, 2013
Texas
After my dd warm up routine, she starts throwing pitches till she is hitting the corners well. Usually 15 or 20 pitches. We call it good then. Some times it takes longer. If she can't put the pitches in the right spot then she is not ready. She just turned 11.

Walt

May 18, 2009
We do over hand throws for ten minutes, work from a kneeling position for 10-15 pitches, ten flamingos, 5 walk throughs, 5-10 regular pitches.

Mar 28, 2013
Don't believe the warm up has allot to do with it. sometimes its easy to leave your best pitches in the pen. What helped both my DDs is during the 5 Pitch warm up to start the inning they don't pitch all out. they pitch warming up loose.like when you are done with drills and you are doing your first real arm circles in practice. Kill a little of the adrenaline and loosens up the small muscles before the first at bat. The other good thing about this is the batters timming you up at 70% speed. My 13 and 11 year olds have a blast because of there reputations sometimes half the team is out taking hacks trying to get the timming.then she throws strike one right by her.and throws off the top of the order.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
In my opinion it should only take max 10-15 minutes to warm up. The last 15 or so pitches should be at 100% game speed. I see pitchers warm up forever and it only takes away from your game stamina and effectiveness.