How important are SAT scores for a 2016?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
While my 2016 DD may never play college softball, her travel team will play a number of showcases this summer. She is taking the SATs this Saturday. She is very motivated with schoolwork, but not so much with the SATs. She keeps telling me that she is only a sophomore, she is going to take the SATs again next year, etc.

I am confident that she will get a 90th+ percentile score, but she will have better scores if she studies a bit. She took the PSATs this year and freshman year, and all of the section scores were 96th - 99th percentile, even though she refused to open the practice booklet.

The schools she is interested in right now have average SAT scores in the 2250+ area. How will top DIII schools view her sophomore year SATs if they fall short of this mark?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Depends on the school. Some schools "super score" That is they take the best score from each test (math, crit read, writing) and give you the best combined. Some look at all scores. Some just take your highest total score but don't super score.

That said I don't think most schools will hold SAT scores taken as a sophomore against anyone since the vast majority of students don't take the PSAT until early junior year and the SAT in the 2nd half of junior year.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
While my 2016 DD may never play college softball, her travel team will play a number of showcases this summer. She is taking the SATs this Saturday. She is very motivated with schoolwork, but not so much with the SATs. She keeps telling me that she is only a sophomore, she is going to take the SATs again next year, etc.

I am confident that she will get a 90th+ percentile score, but she will have better scores if she studies a bit. She took the PSATs this year and freshman year, and all of the section scores were 96th - 99th percentile, even though she refused to open the practice booklet.

The schools she is interested in right now have average SAT scores in the 2250+ area. How will top DIII schools view her sophomore year SATs if they fall short of this mark?

Seems pretty silly not to take even a practice test, but I wouldn’t sweat the big picture. Most of the schools' admissions departments will simply look at the highest score in each area, whether they were from the same or different test dates/years so there is no problem if her soph scores don't end up being her best scores. Thus, the take ‘em early and often approach.

Don't know if its desire or ability that led you to say that she may never play college SB, but the pool of academically-qualified great SB players is not very deep so academically-qualified good SB players make up the majority of many rosters. In fact, with acceptance rates in the 10% range at the schools you seem to be talking about, making the SB team may be easier than getting into the school! Depending on the school, a coach may be able to identify several prospects for special consideration by admissions. A student/athlete not gaining admission or an admitted student/athlete not receiving sufficient financial aid to make it viable for them to attend are real challenges that face D3 coaches.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I also have a 2016. If it were my DD taking the SAT this Saturday, the more I told her to study, the more she'd dig her heals in and refuse to do so. I'm starting to learn, though, that if I just say one sentence "you might want to take a look at the SAT study guide" and then run from the room before I can say anything more, it is likely that I will find evidence of DD having secretly studied.

It sounds like your daughter is highly motivated and very bright, so I concur with GM - don't sweat the big picture. She'll probably do extremely well.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The importance of the SAT/ACT score depends on the schools your DD is interested in.....Ivy League schools are going to place more emphasis on test scores than most. My suggestion would be to have your DD take the test. If she scores well you publish the score with pride. If she doesn't score well, you do not publish it, and if asked she can simply reply that she plans to take it as a junior.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
I agree with a lot of the previous comments. I will add that if the coach wants your DD on her team most schools will give that consideration and get you some leeway on SAT or ACT scores. That includes top DIII schools like those mentioned above as well as Ivy League schools. Yes, there is still a cut off and a high score is important, but in those highly competitive schools you need to take advantage of anything that gives you an edge.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
NGT2017: If the DD scored in the 96-99th percentile on the PSAT, if possible consider registering her for the Pennsbury Academic Recruiting Camp in June run by NFCA. Student/athletes are required to have a 3.5 GPA and 175 on the PSAT as a 2016. All of the academic schools (D1-DIII) are there as the pool of players they can effectively recruit and get through Admissions is limited; they're all after the same kids.

She'll get lots of looks and contact from the D III's - the DI, if interested will reach out to her club coach.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride; it's fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild