How fast to first base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
A lot of people are saying that the home to second time matters more. What would you guys say a good h to 2nd time is?
If you do home to first right home to second will typically be doubled with a slide. Maybe a tick slower

Funny enough I helped a big time D1 baseball coach (lazy) run tryouts for walk ons. He always did a straight 60 to test speed. I told him to switch to running bags and watch the change. Consistently the fastest straight line runners were the slowest base runners.

Jun 8, 2016
Is he a good trash talker? That typically speeds older siblings up
Lol..she is fast but just cannot figure out how to round the bases without slowing down. Her Mom ran track in college ;) DS is not much of a trash talker :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Running speed is an actual talent /skill.
That measurements are considered.
However,
How colleges want players to run the bases differ.
Even how they want lead offs done.
That can be teached/communicated and defined quickly at that level.

Good time to recognize coaches watching in game performance can say more than a clock can.
Getting out of the box quickly is equally important.

Feb 13, 2020
You must have met my kid..my 5 YO son rounds bases better than my 10 YO DD :rolleyes:
My DD had the same issue. She’s 17 now but when she’s was a sophomore (15) she was so bad at rounding the bases. We timed her running the straight 20 and she practically flew to the finish line. She ended up getting a time of like 2.8. Then we timed h to 2nd and when she rounded she was practically running in the outfield. She ended up getting a time of like 5.8 because she was so bad at rounding. Thankfully though after some help from her coaches on how to properly round the bases she got better at it. Now her fastest time from h to 1st is 2.7 and her fastest time to 2nd is 5.3. She’s still so much better at running straight though. We timed a straight 40 and she got in the 5.1s so we’re gonna continue working on the turning.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD had the same issue. She’s 17 now but when she’s was a sophomore (15) she was so bad at rounding the bases. We timed her running the straight 20 and she practically flew to the finish line. She ended up getting a time of like 2.8. Then we timed h to 2nd and when she rounded she was practically running in the outfield. She ended up getting a time of like 5.8 because she was so bad at rounding. Thankfully though after some help from her coaches on how to properly round the bases she got better at it. Now her fastest time from h to 1st is 2.7 and her fastest time to 2nd is 5.3. She’s still so much better at running straight though. We timed a straight 40 and she got in the 5.1s so we’re gonna continue working on the turning.
1st to second isn't so bad..it is rounding 2nd and 3rd where she resembles a baby giraffe...

Jun 8, 2016
I'd like to enter my child into this contest. What's the prize?
"Winner" (e.g. parent of kid who looks the most goofy) gets a free pass to yell at any 3rd base coach who bunts/steals/has a kid thrown out at 3rd with no or 2 outs when down by 6 runs..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi