How far from the Batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our catchers, 10U, have been missing way too many called strikes. Our HC thinks it is because our Cs are too far back from the batter.

I think the right C position is to for them to be able to touch the batters back foot with their hand. Is this correct or is there a better way to get them in a better starting position?

They all seem to stake out a position behind the batter’s box and do not move, regardless of where the batter is in the box.

Apr 25, 2010
They should be squatting as close as they can without getting their glove in the batter's way. And yes, it should adjust based on the batter's position. If the ball is hitting the glove and bouncing out, the catcher should be taught to "receive" the pitch, rather than "stick it".

Jul 28, 2008
We teach that the catcher should be able to touch the back leg of the batter with her glove when the arm is extended.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, but I need a clarification.

When you say the back leg, what point of the leg? Usually the batters back foot is their farthest point back, does being able to touch the foot work or is that too far away?

Sep 3, 2009
Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what you're asking... When you say your catchers are "missing" too many strikes, can you clarify that? Pitches that were low and in the dirt that should have been blocked? Ricocheting out or off of the catcher's mitt? Getting by the catcher on the outside or inside? I may be wrong, but any of those 3 wouldn't have much to do with the position of the catcher in relation to the batter IMO.

The catcher should set in, as close to the batter as they can safely get, but if they're slightly back from an ideal position, I don't think that would have much bearing on if they miss a pitch that was way outside, or a drop ball in the dirt that should have been blocked. A good fast meatball over the plate, and across the knees will have the steam to carry back an extra two feet to the catcher. A good blue should be looking at the ball over the plate, not two feet behind it.

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I was taught that I should be able to barely touch or almost be able to touch the batter's back knee. You also have to make sure that the catcher isn't reaching out when she catches or she'll still get hit by the bat. As Crystle pointed out, receive the ball, don't spear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi