How do you use DP Flex on your team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2012
I have a decent understanding of the rule. What I'd like to hear are some reasons that you use it over a straight nine beyond the 'free' substitution it gives you. Any player specifics or game situations would be great to hear!

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
I have a decent understanding of the rule. What I'd like to hear are some reasons that you use it over a straight nine beyond the 'free' substitution it gives you. Any player specifics or game situations would be great to hear!

It's been used effectively where you have a struggling hitter/good fielder and a good hitter/weak fielder combination. For example, a good pitcher who struggles at the plate can be flexed with a weak fielding DP that bats for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
For 12U, if the tournament allows either DP/Flex or EP, I always use the EP during pool play to get as many players ABs and give me more flexibility in terms of substitution. For bracket play, I do not use EP at all, and will use DP/Flex if I think using it improves both the offense and defense.

If a tournament allows only DP/Flex, I will use it in pool play if I think it helps get more players into the game.

Apr 27, 2012
If a tournament allows only DP/Flex, I will use it in pool play if I think it helps get more players into the game.
That's all I can see using I for on our 10U team. The skill spread isn't so large that it would be an advantage to split some kids as strictly offense or defense.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
This is how I used it in one tournament recently. Pitcher 1 (P1) is also my best F6. P3 is our starting F3. Our starting F6 when P1 is pitching is also our best F8. Starting F9 is also a good F3, but can't hit very well. P2 can also play F3 and any OF position, about equivalent to the starting F9 abilities, but is also one of our best hitters. So, with P1 on the plate, we'll have F9 in RF as the flex and P2 as the DP. P1 begins struggling and we'll move her to 3B, F6 moves CF, F8 moves to RF, F9 moves 1B, P3/F3 takes the plate. If P3 starts struggling, then we insert P2/DP to play for the Flex and take the plate and move P3 back to 1B. No regular substitutions used.

Then I'll flip it up a little when P2 is starting. P1 at 3B, P3 at 1B. We'll still list P2 as the DP and F9 as the Flex at pitcher. After lineups are exchanged, I'll immediately insert P2/DP for the Flex. When P2 begins to struggle, then I'll re-insert the Flex and she'll go to either 1B or RF depending on if we bring in P1 or P3 to pitch the game. Meanwhile, P2 rests up in the dugout and can also be brought back in if needed. Again, no subs used up.

Jun 21, 2010
One tournament we were at the HC used the DP as a way to give all the girls on the bench a chance to play in a championship game. P was the flex. DD was 12 playing up on a 14U team and was used as a DP because she had a better bat than the pitchers.

Current team, the HC doesn't understand the DP/Flex very well and uses it to have one of the other coach's DD play as an offensive player, but never start as one of the starting 9.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55