How do you handle breaks between games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
SoCalDad, how old were they when this happened? I also agree with no swimming pool. I don't even like my girls to swim before practice...

This was when DD#1 was a first year 10U player. That was my first year coaching an all star team and, while I thought I knew it all, in reality I knew very little....

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
This was when DD#1 was a first year 10U player. That was my first year coaching an all star team and, while I thought I knew it all, in reality I knew very little....

Five games on Sunday was certainly a lot for them! I was asking about the age because older players are not quite as likely to let themselves get tired in the pool. Older ages (for the most part) have sense enough not to do stuff like that.

Also, with 10U girls I MAKE them put on sun screen. If they get burnt slam up on Saturday, Sunday is going to be rough for them. I chase them around with the bottle (not literally) until they put the sun screen on. I don't do that for the older groups, I tell them to put it on and I'm not going to chase 'em like I do 10U.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
In my area the single elim tourneys usually have only 3 to 4 games on Sunday depending on your seed to win it all. The double elim can have 5 or 6 if you end up in the losers bracket

Once again, that must be one of those SoCal things... But then again, five or six games is probably nothing for y'all. :p

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Yes 6U all stars I did not forget the 1. We play NSA as do most parks in the north half of Alabama. I was suprised last year at how competitve it was and it's not a pushed by the parents. The girls really got into it. They saw a difference in the level of their teammates and the other teams. They get to play 3 tourneys and maybe a fourth if they qualify for state. We will have to travel for one of the 3 plus state and my DD thinks it is cool to stay at a hotel to play ball. Our state tourney is at Orange Beach which is great for the girls as long as we are not dodging oil slicks on the beach.

This weekend we play two pool games Friday night and then another Saturday morning. Then if you are not a 1 or 2 seed you would have to play 3 more.

Oct 18, 2009
Yes 6U all stars I did not forget the 1. We play NSA as do most parks in the north half of Alabama. I was suprised last year at how competitve it was and it's not a pushed by the parents. The girls really got into it. They saw a difference in the level of their teammates and the other teams. They get to play 3 tourneys and maybe a fourth if they qualify for state. We will have to travel for one of the 3 plus state and my DD thinks it is cool to stay at a hotel to play ball. Our state tourney is at Orange Beach which is great for the girls as long as we are not dodging oil slicks on the beach.

This weekend we play two pool games Friday night and then another Saturday morning. Then if you are not a 1 or 2 seed you would have to play 3 more.

I realize its probably a stupid question but I don't know. Is it coach pitch at 6u?

A lot of good recommendations above...definitely no swimming pool! A couple of things we do or have done for our 14U and 16U teams...
1. Set up a "home base" in the shade. If there are no trees around, see if one or two parents have those portable canopies they can bring and setup.
2. Bring and make sure the girls eat "healthy" food...i.e. avoiding most menu items on the concession stand list until after the last game. We always have fresh fruit (orange slices, cantaloupe, watermelon, bananas, grapes). Not that I have anything against concession stands...I love nachos with cheese and jalapenos. Just not a very good pregame meal...even for coaching.
3. Make sure the girls keep hydrated.
4. If you are going to be there all day and have a long break, make sure you give everyone a "curfew" to get back to the home base in time to get refocussed on the next game. (probably not such a problem for 6U's since they should probably be accompanied by an adult).
5. A/C of a fast food joint is a great idea as well. Last year, we actually took a bunch of girls to a Wal Mart and roamed around for about an hour after I felt we had worn out our welcome at the restaurant and still had time to spare.
6. When it is really hot, we tell the girls to bring an extra couple pair of clean socks and we keep them in a ziploc in the cooler. I don't know if it really does anything for them, but they like it.
7. Make sure they have a change of shoes (i.e. into flip flops, sandals, etc) and take spikes off during long breaks between games. Sort of creates a mental barrier between rest time (flip flops) and game time (spikes)
8. Depending on the proximity of parents homes and a length of break, let the girls go home and chill at home. Then refer to item 4 above. I think it is nice for the girls to stay together between games, but does it really matter as long as they are together again in time to get focused on the task at hand. (We had a tourney where the grandparents of one of the players lived near the tourney area and they offered their home for a between game picnic in their shaded backyard and a ciesta in their hammock. )

Not an exhaustive list, but just some of the things we do during a long tourney day to help keep the girls (and coaches) ready to go.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Fastpitch, It is coach pitch. During the regular season our league gives them three pitches and then two attempts from the tee. For girls moving up to 8U they lose the tee all together at the halfway point. All girls hit only coach pitch in all stars. I take pride in the fact 3 5yo's from my team made it this year when 99% of the selection process is based on how well they are hitting.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let ya'll know how it works this weekend.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Played two Friday night and then three on Saturday with the heat index heating 103. Used the tents, fans, water, chiily pads, and everything else we could come up with to keep them cool. Outside of a couple of kids I did not see anyone doing anything other than eating fruit or light snacks. Of course the two kids eating shaved ice ended up being sick at their stomaches and hopefully it taught the parents a lesson. My DD handled it very well and she was limited to water, gatorade, grapes, bananas, and a pb and banana sandwich. Should help us alot going into this weekends tourney.

On a side note we finished third. Lost one in 2 and 1 in pool play then eliminated in the semis by the only undefeated team in the our area. We did hold them to 12 runs when they have scored over 20 in every other game. Of course when you only score 4 it doesn't help much. DD did have a solo homer and a 3 run one to go with it. Also popped out to the SS for her first out in 9 all star games.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207