How do you handle breaks between games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
This past week our 6U all star team went 2 and 1 in pool play and earned a 2 seed going into single elimination play on saturday. After coming out hot the first game we had to take and hour and a half break before the second. We came out flat.

We were down 7-1 after the first inning to a team we smoked the night before. It was very hot with high humidity which took it's toll but the other team was in the same weather. Does anyone out there have any tips for keeping the girls up between games?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I put the girls in "timeout". They are forced to stay under a tent, in the shade, somewhere. If there is a playground or something else here, they aren't allowed on it until our last game is over. If they need to go somewhere, like the bathroom, someone goes with them. Be careful with them wandering alone, make sure they have an adult present for all bathroom and concession stand ventures.

Dec 28, 2008
Shade and rest for sure
Fun warmup activity to get blood flowing again
Hydration & Nutrition (They can only play to the level that they prepare their bodies to be ready to play)

Sep 17, 2009
6U? Might want to give them a nap : >

Only half kidding, I know my kid at 5 and 6 wouldn't make it through three games in one day...

Unless you dropped the "1" in 16U?

Mar 15, 2010
One big don't is the swimming pool. Learned this one about 15 years ago. Had a tournament in Riverside county and the temp was about 105. Had a 7:30 game and then our next was 5:30 PM. Went back to the hotel and let the girls swim. Big mistake. Red, watery eyes, sun burned skin, tired bodies. Came out flat, lost and had to play 5 games on Sunday through the losers bracket to make it to the championship game.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
SoCalDad, how old were they when this happened? I also agree with no swimming pool. I don't even like my girls to swim before practice. Also, glad someone mentioned the sugar. At a certain point, I cut the girls off from food. If not, they will sit there and gorge themselves. If there is a long break between games, I say no food after this hour--gives them plenty of time to eat and all that jazz. They don't need to be gorging themselves in the heat of the day, then puking. So be sure to watch what they are eating. I know some teams are a lot more strict--no eating after a certain time and no foods. The majority of the things on the banned list are the things on the concession stand menu, naturally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207