How do you encourage kids to get started with catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks for all the thoughts. I will use the suggestions. The aforementioned TB catcher at 10 was tiny yet quite impressive, she could throw runners out for sure at 10.

Byt in rec I am just looking for a couple girls who can catch the ball and hopefully block some bad ones. Throwing is just gravy. Not a lot of 10u rec caught stealing.

Again, appreciate the ideas. Can I ask to what degree and tips for incorporating catcher work into practices?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Just don't make the catcher receive the ball from the infield drills and think you have worked out the catcher.

I was the 10U rec coach and made DD catch first so other kids would just do it when I told them it was their turn. More and more DD just suited up and did the job. She has been a starter in TB at C for the past 5 years.

As a warning....watch any small kid that has a rocket of an arm to make sure they have good throwing mechanics. We lost a catcher for 1 year because of bad mechanics.

Apr 1, 2010
I like the suggestion of asking who gets bored! Catcher is a great position for action junkies. Being in on all the action is a reward for the dirt, sweat and pain.

I know it's kinda there in the name, but it needs to be someone who can catch a ball reliably. :-D

You might try Dave Weaver's flinch drill on all the girls. Gear them up, get them down in position and bounce balls off the face mask. The ones who can handle it without flinching away from the ball are potential catchers.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I like the suggestion of asking who gets bored! Catcher is a great position for action junkies. Being in on all the action is a reward for the dirt, sweat and pain.

I know it's kinda there in the name, but it needs to be someone who can catch a ball reliably. :-D

You might try Dave Weaver's flinch drill on all the girls. Gear them up, get them down in position and bounce balls off the face mask. The ones who can handle it without flinching away from the ball are potential catchers.

Another potential catcher is the kid who can't stay focussed because of the lack of action at other positions. Had a U10 kid who could catch and throw reasonably well, but I couldn't play them in the IF because they got easily distracted and often would not be looking when the pitcher threw a pitch to the batter! Tried the kid behind the plate and they were engaged, effective and loved it because they were intimately involved in every pitch.

IMO, by having all your players at least try the position at a young age, you will provide everyone a degree of appreciation for the sweaty and dirty job that the catcher performs and may possibly find a hidden talent. Extra playing time is another effective incentive.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA

Is it sort of like this?

The Great Santini - YouTube

Apr 1, 2010
It is sort of like that, Mr T. But no following them around bouncing the ball off the back of their heads...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321