How do you encourage kids to get started with catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
At your 1st organized practice, identify your best shortstop and then give her a set of catcher's gear.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
LOL thanks... I think

Actually, there was a girl on my 10u daughter's TB team that was sheer joy to watch play SS but ended up playing C because she was the best catcher. I considered it a tragedy

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In rec I consider who best fits the gear and it is them....

No seriously, whoever is the loudest and bossiest are the best natural catcher candidates. I don't ask - I just hand them the gear and tell them to catch. Most of them take to it like a duck to water.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I only had to develop one, and had no plan at all. Fortunately for her, Dave Weaver was smart enough for both of us.
Success will reward the ones that do the work.

May 31, 2012
Ask the kids. Who gets bored in the OF? Then tell them catchers get to handle the ball every single pitch. Then get the NECC dvd and get to work. I would try to develop at least 2 catchers 3 would be better. Our best pitcher is also our best catcher.

Jan 23, 2011
Vienna, VA
Catcher's are a unique breed and tend to self-select. Start slowly. Catcher is a physically and mentally draining position. It's hot, dirty, hard work and there's no time for daydreaming or picking flowers. For newcomers, just give them an inning or two behind the plate and rotate someone else in. "Just try it for one inning" works with the reluctant girls, especially if everyone is taking a turn. Eventually 2 or 3 are asking you if they can catch more. Then you have them hooked and can start developing their skills. Good luck. There's nothing like seeing that first successful block.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If it's rec make them all try it, you never know you might find one that absolutely loves it. I had several girls last year that "had no interest" in catching. I made them all do it. Catcher was the most requested position. Now TB is different there has to be a certain skill set. Sometimes if your best pitcher has a close friend on the team that doesn't pitch it seems they are often willing to give it a go. Since they are friends already you could invite that girl to catch during pitching practices at home or with a coach etc.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When the players could not steal home we tried to get all the players to catch in a game, for our league stealing 2nd was free anyways, 3rd was a free base if it got by the catcher.

For safety reasons 2 did not catch but all the other players did. 3 of them are still plugging away at catching and are pretty good. It gets really fun for them when players are allowed to steal home and dropped 3rd strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG