How did your DD(or you) get involved in Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
My mother won several state championships playing slowpitch. I grew up at the ballpark. I played baseball and football from the time I was 6 right through high school. After I graduated from college I started playing high level slow pitch. I played for 10 years. My DD watched my friends and I play and has always enjoyed it. She started playing when she was 4. She is 8 now and loves it!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I played slow pitch softball from age 18 until my early 40s.

My daughter was at a ball diamond most of her life, either at my games or at my son's baseball games. Up until age 6 or so, she was completely uninterested in sports. Then she played her first game of soccer and she was hooked on competition. Wanted to try every game. First season of softball was when she was 7, played on a machine pitch league. We knew early on we had to move her up, when one of the LL coaches yelled at her in a practice for throwing the ball too hard, (funniest thing was she threw it to the coach and not a kid). Her first year of travel was the first year I didn't coach my son so I helped out as the 3rd coach, from there I have done everything from run a team, to VP on the board. Now I am back to being the 3rd guy in the dugout for 14U and I am happiest in that role.

She still wants to play every sport, but we have her narrowed down to softball, volleyball and basketball. This will be her last season in Track.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD played rec. basketball and rec soccer when she was little. When she was 11 one of her friends asked her why she didn't play softball. Now she plays HS basketball in the off-season to stay in shape. In spring she plays HS softball and summer/fall is reserved for TB.

Ray, for me it was softball that started the bottle of Absolut in the freezer...

Jun 21, 2010
DD started at 5 yrs old playing t-ball in our local rec league. She loved it. We enjoyed watching her play. She also played soccer and basketball--alot of girls in our area do this. Stopped basketball for a couple years, stopped soccer last year to play fall ball. Still prefers softball to other sports, but next year she will play volleyball and basketball, as well as softball in middle school.

The best part--I get to be the assistant coach on her team this spring. Really looking forward to this--she said she is too!

May 18, 2009
DD1 is very competitive with older brother. He was playing Baseball so we told DD1 if she played and liked softball we would put her in baseball. She played 10u rec at 9. She loved it. Played one season of fall baseball and then was asked to try out for a TB team the following year. Now I have youngest DD starting to play. T-ball last year and now she will be in 8u. She just turned seven.

Apr 1, 2010
A soccer mom co-worker told me about a local rec association that had "fun" soccer for the little ones. We did that when she was four and graduated to pony soccer at five. They held the pony soccer games on the same fields used for t-ball and softball, and when we saw signs saying that t-ball registration was starting on such-and-such a date, we thought, "Why not?"

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
My 7 yr DD was asked to play softball by my wife's cousin. This was a 10U team. Due to my age/ignorance, I said ok thinking girls still played slowpitch at that age as when I was growing up. After a couple of games she was playing 2B and batting 5th. She has been learning and growing as a player ever since and is now 9yrs. Gotta go... Practice @ 5p.

Apr 13, 2010
Daughter played since 5 years old as part of the rec program. She was about 8 I want to say when they were looking for travel players for the fall schedule at the 10U level. She's been playing travel ever since.

Dec 28, 2008
My daughter was invited by a friend to play at age 8. She played 2 years and practiced one time each year. We moved states (16 years ago) and I was going to be working from home and thought "if anyone has time to practice it is me" so I volunteered despite never having played, and never having coached a thing in my life. Started networking with folks and finding out about training opportunities for both my daughter and I. Have never looked back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd