How cold is too cold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Weather.com has us at 45-48 degrees all weekend. I am cold already!

This is going to sound like a joke, but I promise it's not.

I cherish the days we have a 48-degree temperature at the time our HS games start, especially if there's not much wind. That's about as warm as we get for 2/3 of our season.

Some schools around us use 40 as a cutoff point. Others will play if it's above freezing.

My personal threshold depends on how many games in a row we've had to cancel and how likely we are to beat the team. :)

Jun 12, 2015
We got the 8:30 am game Saturday and it's going to be just above freezing. These are the times I wish we still had an extra bat she could use instead of her Demarini.

Apr 28, 2016
We got the 8:30 am game Saturday and it's going to be just above freezing. These are the times I wish we still had an extra bat she could use instead of her Demarini.

Where are you playing Saturday morning? We play at 8:30 in Moultrie. (14U)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
Where are you playing Saturday morning? We play at 8:30 in Moultrie. (14U)

In Woodstock. We were supposed to be in Dallas but all the rain thrashed the fields so they moved us to the more hoity toity area that had more money to spend on drainage systems for the fields. lol

Jul 9, 2016
This link is to the History Channel.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/earthquake-causes-fluvial-tsunami-in-mississippi

Here is a link from an article about Reelfoot Lake. I've been there and there are placards all of the place stating this.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Reelfoot-Lake

Have to call Snopes on river flowing backwards creating a huge lake, but will thank you on the Bells ringing in Boston!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Well, I stand corrected.

My reading comprehension was never good and still isn't.

Somehow I had jumped to thinking you were speaking of Lake Michigan.

My Bad.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
The tournament director cancelled our Hayward tournament. AQI around 200 and not improving as expected. It was the right decision and I believe that all of our families were able to get full refunds on plane tickets, hotels, and rental cars.

Jun 29, 2013
They cancelled ours last night as well. Like you said, no improvement, it's actually worse (Hazardous) today. I sent my wife who has to use an inhaler after every trip outside and youngest DD to Reno for a few days. I would join them but someone has to drive the older DD around and feed the animals.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We don't participate in winter in Florida. it MIGHT be in the low 60's in the morning this weekend but it should be in the 70's by midday.

I won't gloat too hard. My DD is planning on playing in the NE in college and we keep going up when it is actually freezing (i.e. when the locals say it is freezing).

Jan 22, 2011
The tournament director cancelled our Hayward tournament. AQI around 200 and not improving as expected. It was the right decision and I believe that all of our families were able to get full refunds on plane tickets, hotels, and rental cars.

About two hours ago they postponed the 'Big Game' between Stanford and Cal until Dec 1st because of the air quality in the Bay Area.

My daughter's school was open today, but they just sent an email out that they are closed next Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi