How A Parent Evaluates A Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Put these traits (listed randomly) in the order of importance to you when analyzing a coach's ability:

a) wins versus losses
b) teaching ability
c) knowledge of the game
d) character/honesty
e) motivational ability
f) people skills
g)organization/structure
h)temperment
i) other (please describe)

Look for a similar thread soon on the coaching board about what coaches believe is important to parents.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
As my kid gets older this list will probably change. Right now I want someone that can teach my kid and get her to do what she is resistant to do when I tell her cause it comes from dad.

b) teaching ability c) knowledge of the game I don't think you can teach without C.
d) character/honesty
i) other (communication-future plans, things my kid needs to work on. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth)
a) wins versus losses
g)organization/structure
e) motivational ability
f) people skills
h)temperment

Jan 4, 2010
b) teaching ability
c) knowledge of the game
d) character/honesty
h)temperment
e) motivational ability
f) people skills
a) wins versus losses
g)organization/structure

i) other (please describe)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
12U Rec. - I also things it changes with age and level.

d) character/honesty
h) temperment
b) teaching ability
g) organization/structure
f) people skills
i) other – Playing time all Players
i) other – Playing time DD
e) motivational ability
a) wins versus losses
c) knowledge of the game

I really had to think about this. I realized there were some differences between what I felt was important (as a coach) and what I expect when my daughters play for others.

(d) character/honesty
(g) organization/structure
(i) OTHER-game-day coaching
(b) teaching ability
(c) knowledge of the game
(h) temperament
(a) wins versus losses
(e) motivational ability
(f) people skills

I inserted "game day coaches" as the "other category" although I did like the "Communication-future plans, etc. that InsidePitch used.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I would think this is a list of things I look for. If they didn't have ALL of them, then I would continue looking.

a) is about the only one I wouldn't care all that much about. Wins/Losses changes as the team grows and can depend on schedule/talent.etc.

For example - we always try to play up to a level that is going to challenge us. We could win 90% of our games by playing as the top team in a lower division but prefer to play up to challenge ourselves. So we likely going to hover around .500 over a season. This is a good thing.

I also have compensated for c) with bringing in coaches to help in areas I am not expert on or can access coaching who know more than I do (hitting in particular in my case)

I really had to think about this. I realized there were some differences between what I felt was important (as a coach) and what I expect when my daughters play for others.

(d) character/honesty
(g) organization/structure
(i) OTHER-game-day coaching
(b) teaching ability
(c) knowledge of the game
(h) temperament
(a) wins versus losses
(e) motivational ability
(f) people skills

I inserted "game day coaches" as the "other category" although I did like the "Communication-future plans, etc. that InsidePitch used.

This is pretty much what I would say. Game day is important because I have seen coaches do a Jeckyl and Hyde come game day. I would rank motivational up a little higher though. However, all of these are important in a coach.

I think you also have to know your kid and how they match up to potential coaches. A big OTHER for my DD is a hands on coach who is out there showing them what they should have done when an error is made. She does not care for a coach who tells her she needs to do something and never shows her what she does wrong. That might be included in one of the other categories, but match for the player is important too.

Apr 6, 2012
Having been on both sides, I think it really doesn't change with different ages. I honestly think that you can't rank these traits because the only one that isn't important, in the long run, is wins vs. losses. The reason is that if you have the others, that one will usually be there as well. Not every coach is equally strong in each, but most great coaches have each of these traits in different proportions. Most good coaches try to find assistants or support staff that help with those traits that aren't so strong.

I can tell you what I NEVER wanted and what I try NOT to be. That is I never wanted nor want to be the kind of coach that wins at all costs, yells, screams and belittle players on and off the field, and has no long term goals for the team and the player.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The level of importance changes at the different age groups and at different levels of TB. What is important for a low B team is not the same as a high A team. I always get a chuckle out of people who only measure success with won/lose records. There are plenty of coaches who 'sandbag' and have great winning percentages, but I can tell you that the best teams in GA 'play up' in the older age classes because they know it is the best way to improve!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
i) other: Values
b) teaching ability
d) character/honesty
c) knowledge of the game
g)organization/structure
f) people skills
h)temperament
e) motivational ability
a) wins versus losses

What’s missing from the list, IMO, is the coach’s philosophy and purpose and whether those match what a softball player needs at her stage of development and age. In other words, What is the coach trying to accomplish here? Is he/she in it for the right reasons? How important is winning? How important is development? Does this coach care about his players on a personal level? Is he coaching to help girls, or to meet his own competitive needs? That sort of thing.

This is more than just character because I've seen some otherwise good people who blow it here. This is more about having the right vision, as subjective as this might be.

Last edited: