Hot out of the wrapper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2014
central Maine
Is "hot out of the wrapper" just hype? My DD wanted a CF8 Insane so I gave in and got her one. She was all excited about using it in her next game, but her coach warned her it needed to be broken in first. Low and behold, when she hit the ball, the bat just made a dull thud-like sound and the ball never really took-off like I read others post about their DD hitting one yard and "hot out of the wrapper". Now she's gone back to her old bat and put this one away. What's the scoop?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
They used to make bats that performed better over time which got them around the testing. They have closed that testing loop so bats really do not get better over time anymore.

I am sure some people disagree.

Call her new bat thud, she might get used to it and make better swings, but the bat will not get significantly hotter.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Bats still need a couple swings, but NOT many at all to get going. Bats do not need to be broken in like in the past. I usually tell people 10-20 swings should get you going. But those couple swings also help adapt the player to the bat as well. Lets the player get used to it. Not many people just unwrap a bat and use in a game unless their other bat is broken. Some swings aren't the best with a new bat right away.

But, I have had some people tell me they love bats from swing number 1. Everybody is different.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
What did she swing before the new bat? DD loved her first Xeno (33/24) right out of the wrapper - it was the same weight as her Easton but had much more pop. But when she got her 2nd Xeno (34/26) it took about 100 swings until she loved it - a lot of it I am sure was due to the change of weight/length. So maybe your DD just needs to get used to it so that she is making proper contact at the sweet spot?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Back in the day when bats got "hot" with use they were only @ 10% hotter than out of the wrapper.

Mar 19, 2014
central Maine
Thanks guys! I'll relay this info to my daughter. By the way, she's been swinging an Easton synergy speed (white/yellow model) and the team's 2015 mako. We figured the end loaded Demarini would swing about the same as the Easton since Easton tends to be a little over sticker weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g