Hitting with backspin- Fact or Fiction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
If any of you have played High Level slow pitch, ya I know thats an oxymoron, you will notice that all the big boys cut the ball in other words create a ton of backspin. Between that , rolled bats and steroids it explains the bombs they hit. I played alot of SP and could mash with just about anyone. When you cut a ball it flies like you can't believe, now granted the ball is coming in about 15mph but it does create some serious distance when executed correctly.

On a side note Mark McGwire commented in a recent article here in MO that the reason he hit so many HR's of prodigous distance was due to the fact he had so much backspin on the ball not ROIDS.

Nov 1, 2009
The amount of Backspin definitely contributes to the carry of the ball. Like a pitch, if you have backspin it rises and if you have overspin it drops. The challenge in fp is the ball is moving quite a bit and just hitting it can be very difficult against quality pitchers. But a ball hit in the middle with a slight downward bat angle will produce backspin.

Oct 12, 2009
Spin does matter, but it's more a function of the pitch than the swing...

"One of the most interesting findings of the authors is that an optimally hit curve ball will travel farther than an optimally hit fastball or knuckleball due to increased lift during flight."

Basically, the spin of the ball gets reversed off of the bat, so topspin becomes backspin and vice versa.

BLB

May 19, 2008
If we focus on balls hit in the air but don't leave the yard (which is a lot more common), what gives outfielders the most difficulty, reverse spin or balls that don't spin?

Feb 14, 2010
IMO a ball that is cut is way harder to read. They start out low just keep rising and most OF initially read it as a falling line drive and next thing you know it's going over their head.

Jan 23, 2009
You can qoute the science all you want. Play the game (either baseball or softball) and you will quickly realize than hitting the center of the ball on a slightly downward decending plane produces much longer ball flights. Trying to "scoop" the bottom of the ball will not produce more distance, but hitting the center on the downward angle will generate 10-20% more ball flight for the same bat speed.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You can qoute the science all you want. Play the game (either baseball or softball) and you will quickly realize than hitting the center of the ball on a slightly downward decending plane produces much longer ball flights. Trying to "scoop" the bottom of the ball will not produce more distance, but hitting the center on the downward angle will generate 10-20% more ball flight for the same bat speed.

This is 100% correct. I was taught from a young age to angle my swing down for max distance. ( from old dad ) Used it all in travel, high school, and college. Thus the nick name "goingdeep". Once I got to college, the hitting coach changed most of the other's style and swings to the angle.. 4 others and myself were the only few already using the 'angle swing'.

The biggest problem with your DD is getting that first HR. She will naturally think she MUST get under the ball to go yard again. Seen it 100 times.

Jul 28, 2008

Can you provide some solid tested Data on this ball flight % you posted here? Thanks!!

Lil'E VIP

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This is 100% correct. I was taught from a young age to angle my swing down for max distance. ( from old dad ) Used it all in travel, high school, and college. Thus the nick name "goingdeep". Once I got to college, the hitting coach changed most of the other's style and swings to the angle.. 4 others and myself were the only few already using the 'angle swing'.
How do you practice this? Like for instance off a tee.
DD's coach is having them swing for the brush under the ball which looks to me to practice hitting pop-ups.

To the best of my knowledge, all the hitting video I see of big MLB and fastpitch hitters does not show them swinging down. (Ever since MLB shut down that portion of Siggy's site, I don't have a whole lot to look at) Then again, the angle downward would be "down" relative to the plane of the pitch and possibly such a slight angle that it is inperceptable outside of a scientific study.
I have to think that Chris's point about the spin of the pitch being the significant factor makes the most sense relative to FP and BB. Slow pitch is a different story which again makes me think that if the angle swing works it should be easily demonstrated/executed hitting off a Tee.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How do you practice this? Like for instance off a tee.
DD's coach is having them swing for the brush under the ball which looks to me to practice hitting pop-ups.

To the best of my knowledge, all the hitting video I see of big MLB and fastpitch hitters does not show them swinging down. (Ever since MLB shut down that portion of Siggy's site, I don't have a whole lot to look at) Then again, the angle downward would be "down" relative to the plane of the pitch and possibly such a slight angle that it is inperceptable outside of a scientific study.
I have to think that Chris's point about the spin of the pitch being the significant factor makes the most sense relative to FP and BB. Slow pitch is a different story which again makes me think that if the angle swing works it should be easily demonstrated/executed hitting off a Tee.

Gotta run to my folks for Easter lunch. I'll explain tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors