hitting or defense?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Neither....Throwing and Catching. (I assume when you day defense you mean where to go with the ball when it is hit). Hitting will come along in time as every Dad wants their DD to be the next slugger and it it the one thing easiest to work on off the field b.c you do not need other players to simulate a situation of any kind. Many of us make the mistake of not focusing on fun ways to enforce proper fundamental throwing technique at a young age. We also do little to work on overcoming fears of catching the ball properly. Also note...Defensive situation at age 7-8 are harder to explain as all the moving parts lead to dazed and confused looks from many. You still are at the age of keeping if simple and concise. Set the base for the 10U age as then you will some amazing changes when all things start to come together. Just trying to be the kink on the system here with my response....lol :)

Feb 20, 2012
coach vs player pitch might dictate a different strategy.

Hitting is important to the point that if you can't score, you can't win. That axiom also works for the other way around. If they can't score, they can't win. In the end, I think it is much easier to win a game 1-0 than it is 20-19. So I emphasize defense before hitting. You only need few decent hitters on your team, but everyone needs to be a good defensive player, and any skill level can learn to be a good defensive player. That is not the case in regard to hitting.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good hitting can't be stopped (in coach pitch). It can only be contained. What can you do if a team is consistently sending the ball into the gaps?

Similarly, the great server in tennis or the great pitcher in fastpitch or baseball is the one in control. If they're on, you have to be a little lucky.

This doesn't mean that defense is not huge, but it's not what dictates play in coach pitch.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD played on a 8 U team that went 52 and 2 in the fall while looking for good teams in 4 states to play. In 8U its about making the routine outs (nothing special) and the entire line up hitting the ball well, with a few hitting it hard.

Sorry let me be clear Hitting hard.

What you say about ''the entire lineup'' is key, imo. If I've got 4-5 bad fielders, I can survive, but if I've got 4-5 bad hitters, I'm done.

Feb 3, 2011
My young 10u TB team (over half the players were 7u and 8u) scored 14 runs a game in the fall, and we gave up about 6 runs a game. Most of them never knew whether we'd won or lost any given game. I loved it.

Scoring is fun and scoring because her friend got a big hit is a great experience for a young ball player. Getting a high-five from the coach when she reaches 1B on an RBI single is huge fun for them. As coaches and parents, we love seeing strikeouts and well-executed put outs, but for the kids, scoring is where it's at.

At 8u, if the primary emphasis isn't on fun, then don't expect most of those girls to still be playing in 2-3 years.

Jan 17, 2010
good insight from all here. we are a coach pitch team. I try to keep it pretty balanced but i try to really emphiasise throwing and catching. They get so tired of hearing elbows up, watch youre feet etc.... Try to keep situations fairly simple throw ahead of runner most outs are forces at third and first. Like someone else posted here. KEEP IT FUN

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
good insight from all here. we are a coach pitch team. I try to keep it pretty balanced but i try to really emphiasise throwing and catching. They get so tired of hearing elbows up, watch youre feet etc.... Try to keep situations fairly simple throw ahead of runner most outs are forces at third and first. Like someone else posted here. KEEP IT FUN

Reading back, I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking what's more important in deciding the outcome of a game. For that, I'd say hitting.

But what is more important to teach? I'd say it's the proper mechanics of hitting and throwing. Those are the things that are hardest to fix later. I'd also want them catching the ball a lot because that leads to confidence.

I also fully agree w/ what Momo's Dad said -

''At 8u, if the primary emphasis isn't on fun, then don't expect most of those girls to still be playing in 2-3 years.''

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors