Hit by pitch on hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
In a game we played last weekend a girl on the opposing team swung at a pitch, hit it on her hands and the ball rolled fair to our pitcher. Looked to be in the strike zone to me. Umpire called dead ball foul. Is that correct? USFA tournament and I can't find that scenario in the rules. Thanks. Same guy called a hit ball on the plate a foul, which is covered in their rules as being fair, and told us a run we scored counted even though the third out was made on the play and was a force.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Correct result on 1, and pitch doesn't need to be in the strike zone, however, it isn't dead ball foul, just dead ball, strike. Incorrect in 2, unless the ball bounced up and hit the BR while she was still in the box, or either the BR or the C while the ball was over foul ground (hard to tell and likely will get called foul a majority of the time) Incorrect in 3, but caution that a runner retouching after a caught fly ball is not a force as many believe it is, it is a live-ball appeal and WOULD be a time play on the run scoring. Same if it were a reverse double play. Maybe a bit more detail on this last one, since on the softball diamond it is hard to have a time play on force out because of the distances, unless it is the back end of a double play.

Dec 5, 2017
Correct result on 1, and pitch doesn't need to be in the strike zone, however, it isn't dead ball foul, just dead ball, strike. Incorrect in 2, unless the ball bounced up and hit the BR while she was still in the box, or either the BR or the C while the ball was over foul ground (hard to tell and likely will get called foul a majority of the time) Incorrect in 3, but caution that a runner retouching after a caught fly ball is not a force as many believe it is, it is a live-ball appeal and WOULD be a time play on the run scoring. Same if it were a reverse double play. Maybe a bit more detail on this last one, since on the softball diamond it is hard to have a time play on force out because of the distances, unless it is the back end of a double play.
Sounds like he 1 correct then. 2 the ball dropped down on the plate and never really moved so it was fair but I'm sure it's a hard one to call in real time. 3 was just a routine ground ball 6-4 put out with runners on 1&3. Thanks, I was clueless on the ball hitting the hands.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Just remember, the hands are NOT part of the bat, so you have a hit by pitch when the batter swung. Sooooo, dead ball and call the strike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi