Hit batters and morale

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2012
Looking for tips and tricks to keep the girls mentally in the game when several girls get hit hard by pitches.

We've covered getting out of the box and protecting yourself very well in practice. Two games we've been in though, had opposing pitchers with zero control, throwing as hard as they can. One at bat had five hit by a pitch with one taken out of the game. It's ASA so I know the other team doesn't "have" to pull the pitcher.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you laugh about it? Boys yell "Don't rub it" or "Put some dirt on it."

I remember distinctly, this happening to my DD's team. We were in Payson, AZ. her freshman year. The opposing pitcher must have hit 5 girls. I am not one for retaliating, but this was getting ridiculous. My DD and her friends got even in basketball, though - when they ran across the same girl.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
11vidle.gif

Apr 27, 2012
The girls getting hit are actually pretty tough about it if it's not hot enough to knock them down. They get the base and we've got a great group of runners that can steal all day long. So they're amped up to run.

It just gets every single girl in to the mindset of being afraid to stay in the box at the pitch. After a few hit batters, as soon as the pitcher releases the girls make the move to take themselves out of the box.

@ FiveFrameSwing, good video, but I doubt I can get these 3rd graders cheering on this quite yet. Not sure if that was serious or not.....

Feb 3, 2011
I've seen a ton of HBPs in my time, but in 10u, rarely does anyone ever have to leave the game for more than a couple of minutes to ice the affected area. For the sake of protection, you can invest in Evoshield to use in those games where you're facing a wild 11yo throwing 48+, but 5 HBP in a single inning means your team just got 2 free runs. Morale should not be down in a dugout when you're getting closer to winning a game and advancing in the tournament.

If anything, the team that can't get outs should be the ones struggling with morale, which is not your problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut