Highest of highs and lowest of lows ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Anyone else feel like they are on a pitching journey roller coaster? :confused:

It seems like this spring (HS freshman) and past fall (playing up in 16U) DD is either on fire or under water. In the past DD would have ups and downs, but not of this magnitude.

Just this past week she was pulled in the fourth inning of one game. The next game she turns around and pitches a 3 inning run rule shut out win facing 9 batters with 32 pitches and 6K's. Both games were against similar teams. Two different kids?!

I really think the talent and ability are there, but that dang space between her ears gets in the way. I already don't have much hair left, but what I do have is about to turn grey!

Taking suggestions on what to do/tell her to help out.

Jun 12, 2015
It seems like the up and down must be normal. Or at least common? Congrats on her awesome game though!

May 27, 2013
Yes - all the time! Since last spring through fall it's been an up and down ride. Growing close to four inches in a year didn't help, either - nor did switching pitching coaches right before fall season started up. My dd would either be lights out or would be walking girls like crazy during her 12 y/o season, where as an 11 y/o, she would only walk 1-2 batters per game. I am excited to see how spring goes - her growing (height-wise) has slowed down, she has put in a ton of work over the winter, and has now been with her new PC (working on IR) for 7 mos and has gained 6 mph on her FB, as well as has developed good control of her pitches. I am hopeful that this spring / summer will be a bright season for her.

I think remaining positive and being your dd's biggest supporter and fan will help.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm both dreading and looking forward to my dd's next growth spurt. I've heard they usually add speed, and their mechanics go to hell. It'll be kind of fun to see how fast she ends up pitching after we fix the mechanics (again) following her next spurt. She's tall for her age but I've noticed that the 2nd year 10U girls tend to be much bigger than she is, even so. Should be interesting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you figure it out please let me know.

In pregame she looks like she has never pitched in her life, greal game.
In pregame she looks great, during the game it looks like she has never pitched in her life.
And everything in between.

Nov 29, 2009
You will find pitching performances are like the wave pattern of a bouncing ball. The older the players get the less the performances swing wildly. Unfortunately, it takes time and experience. I went through it with my DD. It's part of the learning process.

I watched a girl who plays for a nationally known 16U team get used for batting practice during a HS game last week. She gave up 12 earned runs in 2 innings. Got pulled in the 3rd inning with bases loaded and no outs. So it does happen to the older girls too. Heck... Look at the MLB. How many times to you see good pitchers get rocked? Don't sweat it so long as she keep improving.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
How many times to you see good pitchers get rocked?

That's certainly true. Getting hit hard happens on occasion for sure. DD has had her share of that too. So far 2 HRs and 1 GS in 11 HS games pitched. Granted DD is a freshman and those hits were from Jrs and Srs who are D1 SEC commits. The learning curve is steep! Big things happen when the drop doesn't drop and the backdoor curve moves across the middle of the plate.

My confusion especially the last game came more from not being able to find the zone and hitting 2 batters. Very uncharacteristic of her. Then the insult to injury is the free passes score more often than not.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Consistency in her warm ups are essential.
3-R's = 3-S's = K
Rhythm, Resistance, and Rotation equals Spin, Speed, and Spots equals Strike Outs!