High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I must ask, however - How did your team wind up with a non-league game that could result in 34-0? I realize the mandatory league games can't be helped. Just wondered what went into the scheduling. Of course, some HS teams can go from playoffs to pathetic in 1 year if the right player (pitcher) graduates.

I don't know the answer to that question. Last year's JV beat this same team 19-0, so I don't know why they would keep this team on our non-league schedule? Another non-league game today and then Thursday league play starts. As I mentioned before, the teams will be much more competitive in league play, if they wind up above .500 this season, that will be a victory. Last year's team went 3-17.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I owe your dd and the coaching staff an apology. I was asked to come up and work with some of your hitters this last open cage you had. I didn't get back with Coach on that. I had not counted on us having so much to do with our field. We had screens stolen, our cage had major holes that had to be repaired, ... It was a mess and so, I didn't make it up there. OH, some of those screens were found and I had to repair them and, believe it or not, some were found in the bathroom. I don't know how they get out when we lock all of them up in our storage area.

Understandable. Wish you could have made it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD's team played its first game tonight. Lost.

I'll take this thread on a little tangent. My wife attended. I had to work.

My wife is a normal person. Doesn't really like sports. So maybe that makes her an abnormal person.

Anyway, from a non-softball person's perspective, she observed that our team's parents are rude, overbearing, obnoxious. Constantly yelling at umpires. "Why don't you go over there and get your payment!'' "How in god's name can you miss that?'' And to their kids. "Just catch the ball!''

Y'all have all heard it. But we who post here are conditioned to it. Or maybe it's worse in high school. I think it is.

I'm going to tomorrow's game. Will be deep down the LF or RF time. Or maybe I'll video some of it and post here for public shaming.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm over parents.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010

My wife is a normal person. Doesn't really like sports. So maybe that makes her an abnormal person.

Anyway, from a non-softball person's perspective, she observed that our team's parents are rude, overbearing, obnoxious. Constantly yelling at umpires. "Why don't you go over there and get your payment!'' "How in god's name can you miss that?'' And to their kids. "Just catch the ball!''

Y'all have all heard it. But we who post here are conditioned to it. Or maybe it's worse in high school. I think it is.

I'm going to tomorrow's game. Will be deep down the LF or RF time. Or maybe I'll video some of it and post here for public shaming.

These kind of parents ruin hs sports for a lot of people. After all, you have no choice, you can't choose a different team or go somewhere else.

One idea: LinkSpyder. GoPro. Post game highlights. Trust me, just because it is pointed at the action doesn't prevent it from recording great audio of the screeching. Wish I would gave done this when older dd was playing hs basketball, there was a family who desperately needed some public shaming. I would have got a billion hits from people from our hs and surrounding towns. That woman, her sister and rotten brother in law ruined hs basketball for a lot of people for six long years.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That woman, her sister and rotten brother in law ruined hs basketball for a lot of people for six long years.

6 years to finish HS? ha!

I find that the parents of kids that only played rec league tend to be the crazies. Last night I met a dad of a kid that was playing on our JV team. The kid decided to play softball for the first time in her life the week before tryouts. There must have been 12 people in the stands there to watch that kid play. They were loud and boisterous with a gaggle of toddlers swarming around the stands. They were excited for sure. The kid is athletic and I asked the dad who played college baseball, don't you wish you signed your kid up to play softball growing up? The dad had that wild eyed look of someone who just discovered buried treasure. The same way we all looked after our kids' first softball tournament. Remember that feeling???

Oct 1, 2014
USA
There is a growing problem in our area of CO with finding officials for HS sports. The abuse and rude behavior of the spectators (parents and students) is limiting the willingness of refs to subject themselves.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here are a couple of quick suggestions about what we have experienced in the past. If you watch your dd practice or tyrouts, keep in mind that you don't always know the intent of practice for the coaching staff agenda. For example, if you watch tryouts and see very little coaching taking place, keep in mind that it is a tryout. It would not be "fair" to coach one or two players and then, not see or notice the same mistake in another and so not coach that player. While "fair" does not exist in this world, to be sure I don't want to give one player an advantage over another during tryouts. What would be worse is to then go to social media and make statements about the coaching staff. Heck, maybe you are right. Still, it puts the coaching staff in a bad position as well as your dd. Keep in mind that others that like the coaching staff are quick to contact the coaching staff when they see things out there on social media.

Finally, drills etc. in tryouts are sometimes specific to team needs. For example, OF work throwing to bases just might be more about what infielders know about cuts, aligning throws to bases, going out and getting into the OF grass to help an OF with a poor arm, ... So, comments or coaches talking about the infielders when it looks like an OF drill confuse people in the stands as to what is really happening on the field.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Just spent some time in the AD Office. First, why would someone want to be an AD? Ours is fantastic! Simply put, he is one of the best men I have ever known. Secondly, why would anyone ever want to coach in HS? Oh, I know that answer but still, it can be so darn frustrating. Practice coming up in a few minutes. 30 MPH wind gusts and 50 degrees. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE FUN although, today is cut day.

May 22, 2015
Illinois

Best thing I ever did was be AC coach for a couple of years. When you hear all that crap from the other side of the fence it gives you a new appreciation for what coaches & umpires deal with lol. I am a way better fan of the game now than before I coached.

Dec 11, 2010
6 years to finish HS? ha!

I find that the parents of kids that only played rec league tend to be the crazies.

Lol! Much to our displeasure the offending banshee woman had two daughters. (Just to be fair the kids were decent kids and would have been spectacularly nice if they didn't have crazy family)

Agree about the rec parents, they had less chance to learn how to hide the crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi