High School Off-season Conditioning. "Mandatory" or Not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah that's what I tell all the girls. as long as it doesn't interfere with our games or practices you can do what you want. If you want to practice basketball have at it. Being a small school, we need to share athletes.

I just wish the AD and other coaches felt the same way. as my DD is 6'0 a sophomore and refuses to play basketball after being one of the ones dismissed....

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hey thanks to all! I actually have pretty good attendance. We lift weights once a week and do the P90X workout for about an hour on the other 2 days. I found a hitting facility that allows players to come $50 per player from Nov.1 to Feb 13th.

However, only 3 sometimes 4 players have taken advantage of it.

As for other sports I have 1 in basketball and as unusual as it sounds 3 in Wrestling! More used to play basketball and I encouraged it. However, the Basketball tossed 3 freshman and a sophomore for them throwing a softball during Christmas break.

My dd wouldn't last long with a coach like that. She goes to hitting and pitching practice every Sunday and during Christmas break she has gone rock climbing.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
For young ladies about what age is this? 15?

Under supervised conditions - weightlifting is safer than soccer, softball, basketball, etc.... at any age.

There's a lot of symantics that get involved - powerlifting, weight lifting, bodybuilding, etc.... Techically there's a difference, but are there really competitions available for 10 year old powerlifters? Or bodybuilders? If they even exist here, it's a minute part of our population.

They say with repeated and/or excessive powerlifting, growth plates can be damaged but under normal supervised weight lifting conditions, growth plate damage won't occur. Generally speaking this is the biggest myth out there and there's very little scientific basis behind it. It's what your dad told you eons ago so just go with it I suppose.

My daughter broke her arm/wrist bone right at the growth plate playing basketball at age 10. Snapped the radius in two (at growth plate) and fractured the ulna. I could see her wrist bones out of place 1/2 a basketball court away.

Her surgeon basically said, don't worry, it's not going to be a long term issue. No therapy needed, no growth problems, etc... just once the pins are pulled, cast is off, etc...(about 10-12 weeks), just let her do her normal activites and she'll be fine. Now, she is just fine.

There's a ton of information out there, including good scientific studies.

Some others will also say just use body weight. That's fine, but I've yet to figure out how 50 pounds of body weight weighs less than 50 pounds of plates or dumbells?????

Edit - Oops - didn't read Marc's post before I posted this.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I had open gyms for softball and it was never mandatory. We have a good softball program and so, the best kids came as well as those that weren't so good. It does not matter. Open gym is for everyone. I never took attendance. I offered a service and so, if they wanted to take advantage then great. If not, they need to know that others were working to take their place. Most of our girls do not play a high level of select. Heck, some only play a low rec level. Still, we seem to get a great mix every year. Per the weightlifting, if your daughter is not lifting and intends to play at the collegiate level, then she is being done a disservice. My dd is a freshman and she was shocked at the number of girls that didn't know the basic lifts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Screwball, for our high school, we have to take weightlifting courses and do so during intitutes. In the long run, it enables us to better serve our players while making sure that they are safe. We do Bigger Faster Stronger. I like that it has software that enables both players and coaches to track player development. It also sets up a schedule that is safe. My daughter grew up on this and started in 7th or 8th grade. She can throw up some weight.

Marc, if you are still reading this thread, your opinion on Bigger Faster Stronger would be appreciated.

Mar 13, 2010
Even for outside of softball weight lifting is awesome. I did it sporadiclly at 14/15 and loved it. I've just started a new program as well. Weight lifting is the best exercise and so much fun it's not funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes