High School Coach vs. Team Captains

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have a different view. Asking them is one thing. Acting on it is another. But what better way to ferret out the cliques then ask an open ended question like that.

Jun 1, 2015
I've never coached HS softball but I coach summer travel ball - I've never done captains simply because I've had commitment waiver from season to season. That being said - a captain to me is someone that I can look to as a mini-coach to the girls with respect to age-related circumstances and what they understand that they could control. For example, while I would dictate the template for practice (order of drills, etc.), I would expect my captains to help encourage the girls to hustle, assist with dictating who gets what gear each day (bases, ball buckets, etc.), but does NOT forget they are also a player and expected to participate as a player just the same. A "label" can be given just as fast as it can be taken away.

Nov 29, 2009
Team vote for Captain. NEVER!! I've seen too many popular girls who are very skilled socially, but they are immature. There is no way I would ever let them into an official leadership role. Some of the girls who do lead by example can/will fbe ignored by others because they "Kissing A$$" to the coach unless they are the absolute BEST player on the team. Other times the "Mean Girl" syndrome can happen with a few girls who are given some type of power on the team.

As far as a player "coaching" another player. Nope!!!! Not their job. If I ask them to demonstrate something, that's one thing. Taking it upon themselves is whole other animal.

In my eyes the Captain is there to be a liaison between the players and the coach and to relay information to the players from the coach. Especially on HS age teams. By the time they college a lot of the HS BS

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
A couple of things.

In my DD 3's HS, the off-season practices are run by the team captains. The coaches are not permitted to run those practices. Therefore they need captains. The two captains are stud players, both are juniors who started on Varsity as freshmen.

As far as getting the opinions as to who should play what positions --
One time my DD 1 was on a Little League all-star team. They played two tournaments. First tournament they lost every game. Second tournament they lost the bracket games. Then some girls went to the coaches and suggested rearranging the positions of some of the girls. The next day they won all their bracket games, wound up third place in the tournament.
AND, these were very solid coaches.
It would appear that there are situations where the players have some good insights as to how the girls are doing. Not every time, and the final decision should be up to the coaches.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't think captains are always, or maybe even usually necessary in High School (except as others have stated that they can run off-season workouts coaches can't organize). That said, I'm going to have them because of the position I'm in with a new program and a lot of girls who are still learning the entire concept of being on a team. It's one of those "team" things that I think will help a bunch of the inexperienced girls.

My plan is to have two captains, and the team will vote anonymously (that should allow them to vote honestly, since we'll only announce the two captains and not the overall totals or anything). The coaches will also have a vote (and have veto power, but I don't anticipate using it). And I think this is fair. We're giving them the responsibility, but if they don't take it seriously or if they screw it up, it's our job as adults to rectify the situation. If the vote turns into a farce, I'll just kill the whole thing and use that as a teaching moment.

As for a captain being a coach, nope. Maybe a "coach on the field" during games. A leader who can help position new players, etc. Someone who can help run some activities during practice. But not a decision-maker. That's our job, especially when it comes to lineups, positions, etc.

Feb 24, 2012
How does it generally work on your H.S. team?

In my view, Captains generally organize the girls before and after practices. Put girls on group messaging for team communication. Organize any extra-curricular events the team has. Captains should be seniors.

What I don't like: Head Coach asks the Captains who should play what positions. . . ?

How much do your Captains cross the line in to "Coaching" territory?

Your team captains will show themselves, no need to be assigned or voted on. Why "should it be a senior"? It ahould be whomever is a natural leader who steps up to take on the role and has/earns the respect of their teammates. Our "captain/leader" was undeniable last year and was a Freshman. She had the respect of every player on the team and took the role on herself when nobody else did. Too many coaches try select or push certain players to be leaders. Fact is not everyone is up to the job and true leaders who lead the correct way ALWAYS show in the long run.

On another note, should never be asked about lineup.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Team vote for Captain. NEVER!! I've seen too many popular girls who are very skilled socially, but they are immature. There is no way I would ever let them into an official leadership role. Some of the girls who do lead by example can/will fbe ignored by others because they "Kissing A$$" to the coach unless they are the absolute BEST player on the team. Other times the "Mean Girl" syndrome can happen with a few girls who are given some type of power on the team.

As far as a player "coaching" another player. Nope!!!! Not their job. If I ask them to demonstrate something, that's one thing. Taking it upon themselves is whole other animal.

In my eyes the Captain is there to be a liaison between the players and the coach and to relay information to the players from the coach. Especially on HS age teams. By the time they college a lot of the HS BS

I quoted this because I absolutely agree 100%! Our HS team votes for captains and it is ridiculous! one year the team had 7 captains because there were the two who were voted in, plus a few that kissed the coaches @ss and the DD of the softball boosters president.

it is ALWAYS a popularity contest! this coming season, they voted in three captains and because the coaches felt my DD (Jr) deserved to be a captain, they made her a captain too, even though she didn't get the votes.. the three voted in were the two existing captains (a Jr and Sr) plus one of the players with the worst attitude who is popular (Sr). Even though she was made a captain, she anonymously started a subversive smear campaign on social media to get rid of the coach. they figured out who it was, had meetings and let her stay on the team as long as she apologized. The coach wanted her off the team or at least felt she should lose her Captain status but the school feared a lawsuit if that happened.
I hope this doesn't end badly.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD's HS team never had captains. The seniors are naturally going to be the leaders, but I have never seen a reason for captains.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was selected Captain co-captain her JR year along with a SR. She basically assigned equipment duties and who was going to lead warmups. She has been asked her opinion on a kid or two but usually like "what do you think it moving Suzy to SS and Mary to 3rd"?

I think being a Captain helped her gain the confidence required to assert herself in situations where boys want to be the top dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi