Captains: Yes or No?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2020
I coach 12U Rec and All Star level softball in San Diego, and I’m naming a captain next week when Spring jerseys are handed out. I have a team full of mostly 6th graders, but our catcher is a very mature, focused, and quiet 7th grader. I want to to reward her for her professional and focused approach while spotlighting to the rest of the team that her approach should be emulated.

This is my first time naming a captain so it could blow up in my face. 🤷‍ I see some of the previous comments mention that it should happen organically, and I’m fortunate to have a situation where it’s clear this player is a perfect fit to lead.

I’ll report back in the success or failure.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm, think your goal is to be commended.

Also think there is two different topics at hand in this discussion.
One is being able to communicate and direct others.
The second is trying to figure out if you can create a leader.
Think you can teach people how to manage and facilitate people.
But that doesn't mean people are inspired and lead by that.

My example would be about coaches~
there may be a coach who knows how to manage time, look at Stats and compile an informed roster and put together a team.
Even a coach who can know a lot about the sport and be able to physically develop players.
However I do not think that makes the coach a leader that inspires.
Those qualities
'TO INSPIRE'
Include other characteristics and that's what could/should be identified.

Discerning what type of leadership you want on your team then becomes the important answers. This is why I commented you want to hope that the person who is the leader on your team is leading the direction you want to go. Because being a leader doesn't mean is leading in the correct direction it could be leading in a disastrous one.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’d say yes for Captains. Always looks good on a college app. For college, probably can help with a job app afterwards, as well.

Typically I’ve found that these kids are easy to choose when you’ve been around the team long enough. Has nothing to do with popularity or most talented.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Personally, I've never cared for captains. My team and team parents know that my catchers are the leaders on the field during games since they are the only players to see the entire field and need to make the split-second decisions as the play develops. My catchers know what is expected of them since they are my leaders. Thus, it happens pretty much by default that they lead stretching and warm-ups as well although occasionally other players will jump in or lead. I guess some could call them the team captains in a sense but I don't give them the title. Thus, no resentment from players or parents because they know the reasoning behind it from the very beginning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad