High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2012
Indiana

1st practice/tryout Mar 6
1st contest date March 21, I believe
Conditioning/open gyms can go basically all year qith "no instruction" from coaches

Apr 11, 2012
Alabama here. The state allowed throwing only to start on 01/09 and full practices on 01/20. During the first couple of weeks they can do drills and fielding work as long as the players and coaches do not use bats. This year the state started allowing the coaches to do small group off season work so the ones that were not playing other sports got some work in before we got started.

As for DD being an 8th grader she had to have her schedule changed for the second semester so she could have PE her last period. This lets her leave the MS everyday at 1:55 and go to the HS and take PE there. At the HS all of the athletes have Athletics during their last period so they can start practice during the season or workout during the off season. They are spending about 2.5 hours on the field and then another in the weight room everyday now. This should be a huge help for us as the season goes along.

I am really looking forward to 2/20. It's is the first day games are allowed and we have a round robin scheduled. DD should be starting during her first full time season with the varsity as an 8th grader. She got to play with the varsity last year around her JV schedule and ended up as a starter but she wasn't very confident at times. She really worried about letting the older girls down and playing in front of some of them. This year she seems much more relaxed and isn't letting anything bother her. She just wants to earn her spot and do everything she can to help the seniors finish with a huge year.

you can play varsity for 6 years in Alabama....?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
you can play varsity for 6 years in Alabama....?

You can do this is Florida as well if your middle school is attached to the high school (i.e. it is a K-12 school). Lots of small private schools are like this here, although a couple of bigger charter schools as well.

They actually had to put rules in to stop people intentionally holding back their kids in 8th grade for a additional year (the rule now says you can only play 1 year per attended grade in middle school - so you can play only ONE YEAR as an eight grader for example). I don't think it was happening in softball at the time - I believe it was primarily boys basketball.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
Pre-season workouts started last week. DD whining about how out of shape she is! Seniors taking poster pictures next week. There's just 3 of them this year and they can't agree which uniform to use. lol First day of practice "tryouts" is Feb 27th. Games start March 30th though end of May.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If she really misses it, my DD's high school team needs a pitcher. We're in Raleigh. See if your DD wouldn't mind moving up this way early, helping out a HS team and getting acclimated to the area. Her college coach could keep better tabs on her if she's in the area. DD's team is .500 team at best but could win a state title with the right pitcher.

Let me ask!

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
TN here official practice begins mid Feb, games mid March to first of may. I would like see how many games everyone plays. Some of these seasons posted seem long , so post how many games also. One pitcher, 20 games and a couple of tourny. I think we will be struggling with the one pitcher and that much in that short of time frame plus conf tourny end of season.

Same as DDs school with one pitcher, but the team has good younger roster. IF they hit, they will be ok, but not sure how far they go with the 1 pitcher. With the size school we are, you would think there would be more than one. We are in Murfreesboro.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Same as DDs school with one pitcher, but the team has good younger roster. IF they hit, they will be ok, but not sure how far they go with the 1 pitcher. With the size school we are, you would think there would be more than one. We are in Murfreesboro.
We've got a sophomore #1 who's a stud, a junior #2 and a girl who can throw strikes. Just lost our other catcher to surgery, so DD will be catching all varsity games.

Jun 3, 2015
Tryouts are over and my daughter FINALLY made varsity in her junior year.. She's excited. It's funny how she committed to play college ball before she made the high school varsity team.. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad