High fives on a over the fence home run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If I remember correctly the umpire warned the players from the bench to not enter the playing field before the batter crossed home plate and they did it again and had the HR nullified.

We were warned last weekend. We were receiving a flogging though and I think Blue felt bad and gave the "I'll let it go this time, but..."

Mar 26, 2013
Stupid rule, OOO umpire, maybe...but what can you say about a player who does something, gets warned not to do it again, then does it again!
Gwen Svekis was the offender in the first instance, not Hawkins.

What do you think of the PU turning his back on the plate to call the B-R out while a runner is scoring? Would have been ironic if she missed the plate and he didn't see it because he was too busy calling the B-R out for an offense that didn't interfere with his ability to see it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It IS a chicken shirt rule and pretty pitiful for that level of softball. It is ludicrous to allow them to gather around the plate as it is, but then to rule a player out because a player stepped between the lines.

You want to warn the team, maybe even dump them if it becomes problematic. But to penalize the players and possibly affect the game is just absurd.

Oct 24, 2010
[...]
What do you think of the PU turning his back on the plate to call the B-R out while a runner is scoring? Would have been ironic if she missed the plate and he didn't see it because he was too busy calling the B-R out for an offense that didn't interfere with his ability to see it.

Watch carefully, he turns back to see the lead runner touch home.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I was a NCAA Basketball official for a few years after college. Most years we were given a few official procedural or rules that didn't really effect the actual game play things to 'enforce closely' in the upcoming season. One year it was correct passing of the call back into play after a made basket, one year it was coaches box infractions and so on.

Early in the year you would warn a coach and team for these sorts of things and basically say "I saw it, I don't want to call it, but I will have no choice if you do it again". Often this would be covered in pre-game discussions as well. We got rated on probably 85% of our games at the time and believe me, calling what we were told to call was a big part of our evals and what games you were assigned.

Everyone saw this official do exactly that in this game for the first home run. Clearly he said something to the coaches and players along the lines of "I can't have any of your players step into fair territory before she crosses the plate. I saw it this time and I am letting it go, but if it happens again and I will call her out. I don't want to do it, but I will. So don't put me in that position. Fair warning"

I have no problem with the call and watching the game live, I didn't see the coaching staff at Oregon have much of a problem with it either - which means they clearly heard the warning the first time.

Mar 2, 2013
It IS a chicken shirt rule and pretty pitiful for that level of softball. It is ludicrous to allow them to gather around the plate as it is, but then to rule a player out because a player stepped between the lines.

You want to warn the team, maybe even dump them if it becomes problematic. But to penalize the players and possibly affect the game is just absurd.

Your statement is contradictory. You find it ludicrous to ALLOW them to gather, but take issue with enforcing a penalty. Doesn't make sense. You'd rather they not be allowed out at all? They do that at all levels of the game.

Mar 2, 2013
Gwen Svekis was the offender in the first instance, not Hawkins.

SHE'S ALREADY OUT. What's the difference? You want to call her out twice?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad