Hi from Small town Texas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2022
Hi, my name is Dayna Bennett, I am coaching 14u girls league softball, my daughter is also on the team. We love softball but it being such a small town and area we barely got enough together to even play. I had no intention of coaching but I happened to go to a meeting they had and I was told sorry no coach and not enough girls. That just wasn’t acceptable for me. So I volunteered and went out and recruited more girls to make a team. I played from the time I was 10 to HS, so I know enough but I’m here because I’m open to opinions and different information as well as I do still need help. So be ready for my questions because I have a lot of them and need advice. 😁

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Hi, my name is Dayna Bennett, I am coaching 14u girls league softball, my daughter is also on the team. We love softball but it being such a small town and area we barely got enough together to even play. I had no intention of coaching but I happened to go to a meeting they had and I was told sorry no coach and not enough girls. That just wasn’t acceptable for me. So I volunteered and went out and recruited more girls to make a team. I played from the time I was 10 to HS, so I know enough but I’m here because I’m open to opinions and different information as well as I do still need help. So be ready for my questions because I have a lot of them and need advice. 😁

Welcome! And ask away.

Jun 8, 2016
You made me put my readers on..bad start..j/k ;) Good luck.

Mar 22, 2022
First, these girls have been playing since they were 6,7,8. We actually went to state in 8u which was wild but since then, there has been lack of them being taught actual fundamentals and strategies. I’ve watch different coaches (parents) come and go and none have thought hmmm maybe these girls need to be taught the actual game. Some still can’t even decipher between a force and a tagged out. I’ve watched these girls grow and have been waiting since they were little for them to play HS ball. For some of them that will be next year but most of them still have one more year of league ball. I want so badly to be the coach that sends them off with more knowledge of the fundamentals of the game. Our league in our small town focuses more on little league baseball and we are just kind of thrown in the mix. We have to join a bigger official league in a bigger town 30 mins away to play. Which is fine but the problem is that little league doesn’t start games for another month just about, unlike softball to we’re i went to meeting last Tuesday and found out there wasn’t enough and they didn’t care enough to call not one 14u parent to tell them so thank gosh I went but still… our games started today!! 3/22/22! We literally had 2 practices and then bam our first game this evening. All the girls have the skills but still it was a circus! We lost 6 to 11 and although some plays were good, our defense needs practice.I guess my first question would be… how many practices per week should we be having? Most weeks we will have games on Tuesday and Thursdays. I want to have practice every day that there isn’t a game but the other head coach said that was great but they won’t be mandatory and her daughter would get “burnt out” if she played and practiced on the daily. Ummmm for serious?!! Also we are still figuring out positioning and the ever long problem of no one wanting to play OF. So how many practices and were to start?

Jun 1, 2015
At the very least, I would aim for 2 practices a week. 2 games + 2 practices is NOT, under any circumstances, too much for a player to be "burned out". That's a 100% total cop-out excuse for the parent so they aren't obliged to do anything, God forbid. Yet they will complain that their players don't learn/grow and the finger will get pointed at you for it. (-_-) Anyway, I would try for 2 practices - perhaps Monday evening and/or Saturday morning, but demand at least one for 2 hours so you can go over fundamental work. Focus your efforts on those fundamental skills the girls need before anything else; the rest (tag vs. force plays, etc) will come in time. Struggle as it will be, the girls will be more appreciative for it in the long run.

May 1, 2018
I guess it depends on the commitment level of the girls. Some would be down to practice 3 times a week, some maybe once. I would try a longer practice on saturdays. This keeps parents from going out every night and they can run errands while y'all practice.
Good luck and thanks for stepping up. Feel free to reach out anytime, I'm a 14u select coach in NTX

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probably die in a small town
Oh, those small communities
All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity, hey
Educated in a small town
Taught to fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic, that's me

Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the site. (Avoid idiots like me.)

Mar 22, 2022
Well, I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probably die in a small town
Oh, those small communities
All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity, hey
Educated in a small town
Taught to fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic, that's me

Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the site. (Avoid idiots like me.)

I’m a certified idiot too so no worries! That was great! Small towns can be hard and messy but also when tragedy strikes, they come together like nothing I’ve been seen! In the end I love my small town! I’m also a romantic so I get you! Thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying