Hi from Small town Texas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I’m a certified idiot too so no worries! That was great! Small towns can be hard and messy but also when tragedy strikes, they come together like nothing I’ve been seen! In the end I love my small town! I’m also a romantic so I get you! Thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in a small town in Illinois.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Can't run a red light if your town doesn't have one!
Kudos to your initiative.

Look for ways to improve the quality of the practices. Have a practice plan made out ahead of time. Eliminate mindless warmp-ups by having the players think about their throwing form and hitting the target every single time (partner's throwing shoulder). Partner should be receiving the ball properly every single time. For many rec teams who don't do that, that's 15 minutes wasted while the coach is looking for gear, talking with parents, trying to think of what to do next.
Fielding should have lots of reps done rapidly to keep everyone engaged. Buckets of balls if possible, not one ball hit to a fielder who throws to first who throws to catcher who flips to coach for every single rep. Your catcher(s) should be out there taking reps, too.
Biggest time waster is taking BP where one player is batting, and everyone else is standing around to shag balls.
I'll end with create a culture of chattiness. Encourage it. Too much talk is better than not enough. It'll pay off when they're not afraid to overcommunicate during the game.

Maybe this stuff isn't new to you, but I see time wasters way too many times in youth practices.