Hi All! Been lurking for a little while, decided to join up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2022
First off, thank you for all the great posts on this forum. I know that fastpitch has been growing and it's been great to see more and more gear, tutorials, etc for our girls!

I have an 11yo DD that I'm trying to figure out next steps for her softball journey so this forum has been helpful to see others' journeys as well. Trying to figure out if she'll continue in rec or go travel. We're in So Cal but we have no desire to "travel" but want to stay local or regional.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
First off, thank you for all the great posts on this forum. I know that fastpitch has been growing and it's been great to see more and more gear, tutorials, etc for our girls!

I have an 11yo DD that I'm trying to figure out next steps for her softball journey so this forum has been helpful to see others' journeys as well. Trying to figure out if she'll continue in rec or go travel. We're in So Cal but we have no desire to "travel" but want to stay local or regional.
Welcome. Has your DD played Summer All Stars through the rec program? That is how we got started...5 summers. However, we tried to play ASA/USA Southern Nationals as an end of summer blow out where we traveled.

We thought we didn't want to travel either. There is just something different about a tourney vs Rec league. The sounds, the smells, the amount of games and reps, the camaraderie, etc.

In all reality, you should close out your DFP and take up golf with your DD.

Jul 18, 2022
Yes, she has played All-Stars with our rec league for the last three years (first year of Covid being mostly scrimmages when we could find them) and Select during the Fall/Spring along with the regular rec season the last few years. Several coaches and even an umpire have commented that she should be in travel and continue on. I'm not adverse to a club team but don't see any benefits of traveling to OK or TN, which we know some other softball families that have moved on to travel have done. Additionally, I think there are enough good regional travel teams and tournaments locally that would still expose her to a good level of competition.

I've read on some of the postings that 12u is very developmental so looking for a good organization or team to assist with that rather than exposure. I do agree with the travel aspect as a fun bonding experience with the team and families. We've experienced that multiple years with our All-Stars teams as we 'travelled' locally (within 2hrs drive) for our States' tournaments. I figure we'll have to do that at 14 or 16u if she continues on.

As for golf... I'm terrible at it. :D

May 16, 2019
We're in the same boat GD 1st yr 12U pitcher but enjoys playing other positions, she needs work. Going to play fall ball one more year and look at travel 1sr yr 14. Not in a big rush to go travel. Lots of really good Rec. ball teams in our part of Southern California. I will help with the development of the players over the team winning a plastic trophy. What city are you in? If, you don't mind me asking.

Jun 8, 2016
Welcome. Not wanting to travel is a common theme but the “problem” that sometimes occurs is that your kid gets really good…😉

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
We're in the same boat GD 1st yr 12U pitcher but enjoys playing other positions, she needs work. Going to play fall ball one more year and look at travel 1sr yr 14. Not in a big rush to go travel. Lots of really good Rec. ball teams in our part of Southern California. I will help with the development of the players over the team winning a plastic trophy. What city are you in? If, you don't mind me asking.
We're in Fullerton. I want her to continue development and improve. It's a fine balance. Where are you at, Mike? Know of any good developmental teams not mesmerized by unnecessary travel? ;)
Welcome. Not wanting to travel is a common theme but the “problem” that sometimes occurs is that your kid gets really good…😉
LOL, seems like it Pattar. Just want to make sure I don't hold her back. :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
We play for San Dimas Rec. We are about 20 mile north of you. Fullerton has a big Rec. program? Did you daughter play for Fullerton Rec.

Jul 18, 2022
Yup, I know the area. Honestly, not sure about your league as we don't often play your teams, even in All-Stars. Fullerton does have a pretty sizeable program but, like many other leagues, they have a steep drop off of players going to travel at 12u. I suppose it's with girls realizing they want to be more competitive and the fact that rec doesn't necessarily provide the development needed? I do wish our league would provide more development beyond the basics the coaches provide. I'm finding myself looking at youtube to help my daughter, even though I never played softball. :\ "Do as I say, not as I do"... because I don't know how to actually do it. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi