Help with DD going all forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
I have been working with my daughter for quite some time now. The first significant problem we had to get pass was the dreadful DBSF which brought me to this site. Well after a long and painful journey I am happy to say I believe she may have that whipped. Now once again we will start on our next journey. Before I Ever started to educate myself from this site she has had the problem of going all forward and having still hands throughout the loading process. Which I believe is causing her to hit weak balls to the opposite side or always looking late on pitches? So that's what we started working on and I truly believe that through my subpar teachings I inadvertently caused her to develop DBSF that plagued her for an entire season. So now that I believe we made it passed the DBSF issue I am very gun shy about trying to work with her on the all forward stuff. I would greatly appreciate if you guys would take a look at her videos and give me some suggestions on going forward or tell me that I am wrong and that all forward is not the major concern right now.
https://vimeo.com/155464454
https://vimeo.com/155463976
https://vimeo.com/155464133

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not seeing the pause as a big deal - nor do I see a lack of separation.

rfUree.gif

The arms (prob due to addressing the dbsf that you say she had) are not functioning properly so the barrel does not get on plane early enough so the hands push forward.

The front arm is not working up off the body and the rear elbow is not moving away from her body.

HnvUq6.gif

Needs a little more of this

gEnPNA.gif

OhnQc8.gif

I would do a bunch of high tee and I mean high like arm pit height and mimic Piazza above. Watch the front arm work up and the rear arm work away from his body.

Keep everything else the same for now.

May 4, 2012
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is the epidemic of American Hitters we are trying to correct. This teach right here is keeping us in business. <a href="https://t.co/4Jh3jBmk8z">pic.twitter.com/4Jh3jBmk8z</a></p>— Justin Stone - Elite (@elite_baseball) <a href="https://twitter.com/elite_baseball/status/697110727375499264">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

not hitting from the "right side"

May 3, 2014
The more I look - the more I am fine with the hips. They are doing a good job - but there is no resistance against the hips. So, there is separation but not with the correct resistance. Kind of like a spin with lag...

HnvUq6.gif

The arms working better as illustrated above can be all she needs to figure it out - but also thinking in terms of using her lead side to pull back from the hips to create the arm action is another way. Right now she is pushing her upper body forward with her hip rotation.

You can focus on Bonds's arms or focus on the lead side of his torso as it pulls aways from his hips and clears space for the arms to work.

RYYpom.gif

Same thing with Schwarber even though you cannot see his lead side. The sitting you see against the torso pulling away from that sitting action.

qXrkbM.gif

Same thing with Cochrane

iRmmwY.gif

Just giving another way to look at the same issue.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not seeing the pause as a big deal.

I do not think this type of pause is a deal breaker, but I do feel it makes the hitter's job more challenging. I would be curious to see how the pause works against live pitching.... against someone trying to get her out.

Sep 29, 2014
Sometime you see a double tap or toe tap as a timing mechanism...this is not that. The pause or stutter has got to go.

Watching her swing closely you see her reach forward then stop, then at that point she begins an all the way back all the way forward swing. Key is to watch her hips sway, once she is forward they go back and forth. Should be loading without the hips swaying back as you stride forward.

Her hands never move and she barely pinches back (can't think of the term you guys use all the time).

She has to get the feeling of reaching forward (lower half) and reaching back with upper (OK if this is basically a hold in place as long as she starts back and still pinches back even if not moving much). Then once she is forward with her lower, it never comes back again. Even if you are fooled on a change it just means a stop or pause but never a back again.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I would not work on the hand path issue until removing the 'pause'. The pause has side effects ... such as placing the hitter in a semi rushed condition, in which the hand path becomes more of a challenge. Address the pause, and the other issues will become easier to address ... that is if they are still present. If you are going to take the advice to mimic hitters such as Piazza, then mimic the lack of a pause as well. Piazza studied people like Mohamed Ali, Bruce Lee and Sugar Ray Lenard to better understand quickness, and his conclusion was to direct his focus towards the elimination of tension from the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a tee swing. She does load before launch but fails to do so when timing is involved https://vimeo.com/155544907

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your complaint is "timing", then understand that your daughter's "re-start", that follows her "pause", needs to be timed to the "pitcher". The "re-starting" forward movement needs to be timed such that it is occurring at, or just prior, to the pitcher's release. If this is happening after the pitcher's release then she will be "rushed" and her mechanics will be less than what they could be.

To get the timing of the "re-start" correct you may likely find that her 'first start' needs to be considerably early, and not timed to anything in particular ... and in fact it may be so early that she may begin to wonder what its useful purpose is ... and perhaps make her 'second start' her only start ... a start that is accurately timed to the pitcher. As it stands now, the critical timing piece comes after your daughter's "pause" ... making timing more difficult, not less difficult ... in that it must encompass a stop/pause/restart.

I understand that such a pause can have hitters feeling that the pause improves their timing, but that is because they overlooked the Holy Grail ... the 'early & slow'. If you are seeing a diet of subpar pitching, and can live with primarily just timing the ball, then a pause is something that one may end up gravitating towards ... but it isn't an ideal solution.