Help with timing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2021
I think we are going to try really stressing leading with the pelvis from the top of the back swing. She really wants to lead with the ball. Ive read a lot on here even since I posted this thread and I think based on that information we are a little off on our launch. She has trouble with the drive starting forward with her arms behind her. I have stressed this to her before but maybe I underestimated the importance of it.

I gotta acknowledge there is just so much knowledge on this sight. I can't even imagine how many girls the information on the sight has positively impacted. When we first started doing this I just knew enough to know the things local pitching instructors were teaching didn't make sense to me and enough to see what they were teaching is not what they were doing but I have sure learned a lot reading here and I really appreciate those who spend what appears to be a great ammount of time helping strangers figure it out.

Jan 28, 2017
Hard to tell without video but in the first picture her drag foot is completely sideways. In the second pic her drag foot looks good. She maybe trying to balance everything out because her lower half is late therefore her arm straightens out on gets long.

DD has some issues similar at times.

Apr 28, 2021
Hard to tell without video but in the first picture her drag foot is completely sideways. In the second pic her drag foot looks good. She maybe trying to balance everything out because her lower half is late therefore her arm straightens out on gets long.

DD has some issues similar at times.
The pics are from the same pitch. I believe her lower half is definitely late or upper half early. We just haven't figured out a way to fix it.

Jan 28, 2017
Yes sir, look at the first pic, I'm assuming when she disengages with the rubber her drag foot is sideways and then she turns her hips and the foot gets back pointing towards the cather. Two separate moves. If the drive foot stays straight or close to straight and the hips work, the ball will be closer to 11.

Apr 28, 2021
Yes sir, look at the first pic, I'm assuming when she disengages with the rubber her drag foot is sideways and then she turns her hips and the foot gets back pointing towards the cather. Two separate moves. If the drive foot stays straight or close to straight and the hips work, the ball will be closer to 11.
Her back foot is straight when she disengages the rubber, drags / glides straight a few inches, then turns sideways when the hips open, then back straight as her hips close. Drag mark looks like a question mark.

She is off on the launch posture I think and leading with her hands/ball. By leading I mean her hands start swinging first not that they start in front of her.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Her front foot is awful high in the first pic for that point in the circle. That front foot has to get down before her arm gets to that position for whip to have a chance to occur. Slowing the arm to bail out slow feet won't do it. She looks plenty strong, so getting her feet in the right position first shouldn't be too hard, but it will feel weird to her initially. Your answers are in the drive mech thread.

Added bonus, you get that foot down correctly and she will immediately start throwing faster due to mother nature.

Apr 28, 2021
Her front foot is awful high in the first pic for that point in the circle. That front foot has to get down before her arm gets to that position for whip to have a chance to occur. Slowing the arm to bail out slow feet won't do it. She looks plenty strong, so getting her feet in the right position first shouldn't be too hard, but it will feel weird to her initially. Your answers are in the drive mech thread.

Added bonus, you get that foot down correctly and she will immediately start throwing faster due to mother nature.
I agree, I found and read that thread last night after posting this. Great detailed stuff, I took notes from it and we are definitely going to try some stuff I learned there. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee