Help with brush for girls with enourmous hip bone protrusion :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
My DD has developed such extreme brush that she gets what appears like a rug burn from just below the inside of her elbow all the way down to just above her wrist. This happens when she is pitching and she says it causes her no pain or discomfort. However if she is just working drills like the liberty, 9 o'clock or show-it , she constantly hits Her hip bone which does cause pain because of where it hits "right on inner elbow". So I am curious if anyone else has ran into this problem and has came up with some ingenious way to help to pad it or lessen the contact. She has absolutely no hips and her hip bone protrudes out like 1-1/2 inch

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Video from the back? How much gap do you see when she releases? If you're seeing space between the hand and thigh at release--more than a couple inches, she may be bumping and not brushing. It seems counterintuitive, but closer is better and MUCH less painful if all else is well. Video from behind will tell for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
yea I have not been in the position to video her lately. and it is weird when I get some proper lighting for high speed I will video tape her. Its been raining here for like 10 days straight. I know her whole forearm is brushing when she pitches after 50 pitches you can see it on her arm she gets a light brushburn from it. but getting her to do certain drills to keep things fresh is a challenge because when not pitching she will alter things to avoid contact. Makes it challenging :(

Oct 4, 2014
my dd has the same problem. I have watched the brush gifs thread. it looks like, imo, that if my dd is hitting her hip bone it is because her hips are not turning enough. I will let the gurus comment on whether or not my observation is correct or not. when I watch the gifs on the thread, it looks like they all miss their hip bones because their hip bone has rotated to the point it would be impossible to hit it. one of 2 things or both are happening 1) the rotating thing I just mentioned 2) their arm path is further back. if I had to venture a guess it would be the former. I remember Java mentioning something about filling the space between the hip and arm by moving the hip into the arm path ie proper posture.
until she finds the perfect mix, we have put some padding inside her sliding shorts, a small folded towel. we also bought an elbow/arm sleeve. I will keep my eye on this thread to see what others say.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't believe that hip angle is the issue. Poor posture is more likely a possibility. Video from the back would be helpful (one from the side wouldn't hurt... No pun intended!). If posting a video on the web isn't ok with you, shoot me a video by PM or email for a quick check.)

Nov 7, 2014
I was thinking along these lines also The fact that it does not happen when she pitches tells me her hips are moving more than when she is doing them more static. I know catching her I see nothing but wrist and ball at the release and she really probably when pitching does not close more than 60 deg at release

my dd has the same problem. I have watched the brush gifs thread. it looks like, imo, that if my dd is hitting her hip bone it is because her hips are not turning enough. I will let the gurus comment on whether or not my observation is correct or not. when I watch the gifs on the thread, it looks like they all miss their hip bones because their hip bone has rotated to the point it would be impossible to hit it. one of 2 things or both are happening 1) the rotating thing I just mentioned 2) their arm path is further back. if I had to venture a guess it would be the former. I remember Java mentioning something about filling the space between the hip and arm by moving the hip into the arm path ie proper posture.
until she finds the perfect mix, we have put some padding inside her sliding shorts, a small folded towel. we also bought an elbow/arm sleeve. I will keep my eye on this thread to see what others say.

Nov 7, 2014
Posting video is fine just need to get somewhere with good lighting :)

I don't believe that hip angle is the issue. Poor posture is more likely a possibility. Video from the back would be helpful (one from the side wouldn't hurt... No pun intended!). If posting a video on the web isn't ok with you, shoot me a video by PM or email for a quick check.)

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hey d, been awhile... good to hear from you. Regular speed video is easier to see this kind of thing in, IMO. Slomo is fun to watch, but difficult to review. The 'rash' is common... but banging is most likely alignment. Is the rear foot at 45... this allows the thigh into the throwing lane to receive the arm?

Nov 7, 2014
Ok on the video speed, and thanks yea it has been a while, like I said for some reason pitching it is for the most part correct IMHO ... But it makes very difficult task trying to work on new pitches from 9 o'clock or just doing rework fundamentally... but her hip bone and inner part of her elbow line up perfectly and your right I am wondering if I maybe need to have her do the drills more at 60 deg open because when she pitches she is pretty much at that position due to she strides out just slightly more open than that and almost holds the deg through release as well ... when I get some lighting I will get video of it . I am really curious how many younger girls run into this struggle as well like mine does :(

Hey d, been awhile... good to hear from you. Regular speed video is easier to see this kind of thing in, IMO. Slomo is fun to watch, but difficult to review. The 'rash' is common... but banging is most likely alignment. Is the rear foot at 45... this allows the thigh into the throwing lane to receive the arm?

Jul 14, 2008
I'd venture a guess that her arm is too bent when doing drills. When the elbow has an extreme degree of bend it's to easy for the elbow to work its way behind the body so the forearm can deliver the ball close to the body. The more bend you have, the father the elbow must get behind the body to keep the forearm close through release. This results in more severe contact as the arm tries to pass. I could be wrong, but it's something you might look into. If the amount of contact deceases with a slightly straighter arm then you'll know. Of course getting more open for drills is fine also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80