Help with bat sizing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Stay away from the -9, even more so if it is an end-loaded design.

The girl needs a balanced 33/23. Think LXT or DeMarini CF.

A Xeno would make a nice choice, as well. It will be a tiny bit heavier than the two above but still is a reasonable jump for her to make.

The Easton bats are very heavy and are not accurately marked. She'd be going up quite a bit in weight if you were to get her a 33/"23" Easton. In fact, it would probably weigh closer to 25 oz. The extra inch plus the extra three ounces are a huge jump to make all at one time.

Sep 8, 2015
I was looking at Easton's and Miken's only because that is what I use in men's league and I am familiar with their quality. But with the suggestions here and from others, it is beginning to sound like DeMarini is a better selection for girls fastpitch, is that correct? I have a pretty good relationship with a bat distributor for pricing, not really the issue, but he is not familiar with the fastpitch bats as he is with the slowpitch bats.

Trust me, with all the years I have played ball, I am fully familiar with the difference in a good bat, a great bat, and a bad bat, and I do not have any issue with paying for a great bat. I just don't have the personal experience with fastpitch, and the different technique in the swing, to make an educated decision, that's why I am asking here. So I really appreciate the feedback.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
All of the top bats from the major manufacturers are going to perform very well. Once you're talking about the top-end models, it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Although Miken is not a big name in fastpitch, the Freak Black has gained the attention of a few of us on DFP, and is proving to be a top performer alongside the big guns from LS, Demarini, and Easton. However, the word on the streets is that Miken will be discontinuing their fastpitch involvement, and the Freak Black is getting harder to find.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
All of the top bats from the major manufacturers are going to perform very well. Once you're talking about the top-end models, it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Although Miken is not a big name in fastpitch, the Freak Black has gained the attention of a few of us on DFP, and is proving to be a top performer alongside the big guns from LS, Demarini, and Easton. However, the word on the streets is that Miken will be discontinuing their fastpitch involvement, and the Freak Black is getting harder to find.

This is very true. My daughter has gone thru two Easton bats. Liked them fine, but then got her hands on an LXT. She adores this bat. We have just added a Miken Freak Black to the bat bag. Incredible piece of hardware. One anecdote, my DD thinks the Miken will be better for bunting than the LXT. The ball seems to bounce further off her LXT.

Oct 10, 2011
Hello, newbie to this forum. My daughter is 14 (9th Grade) and has been playing softball since 5 years old. She is pretty much a quick hands kind of batter, contact hitter more so than a power hitter, with most of the action from her arms and less so from the body. She currently has a 32/22 bat, and she likes is very much, but she is ~5"8" and 140 pounds, so using the online sizing guides she should have a bit bigger bat. So after doing some research, and finding some nice fall sales I am stuck between a couple of bats for her.

#1 - 34/22 so a -12, longer bat with less weight for swing speed
#2 - 33/24 so a -9, and endloaded for more power

Most guides say she should have a 33" bat, none of them really specify a weight, and I know that really depends on whether she can swing it or not. But we don't have anywhere local that she can try on different bats to get a feel for which would work best. I have played slowpitch mens league for over 25 years, and I personally swear by endloaded bats, but that is for grown men. I have no idea for girls fastpitch, but I can assume quicker swing speed is desired. So I am stuck on which bat to get.

Can anyone offer a suggestion here? Real life experience? Any referral at all?

Thanks for any offered information.
Which 32-22 is she using now that she likes? That would be a big help.

Oct 10, 2011
Stay away from the -9, even more so if it is an end-loaded design.

The girl needs a balanced 33/23. Think LXT or DeMarini CF.

A Xeno would make a nice choice, as well. It will be a tiny bit heavier than the two above but still is a reasonable jump for her to make.

The Easton bats are very heavy and are not accurately marked. She'd be going up quite a bit in weight if you were to get her a 33/"23" Easton. In fact, it would probably weigh closer to 25 oz. The extra inch plus the extra three ounces are a huge jump to make all at one time.
True about Easton but their new -11 is really a -10 LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01