Help with 12U player.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
Hello! One of the girls on my DD's middle school team and travel team, is having some trouble with chopping (swinging down at the ball). She is a very athletic girl and when she squares it up it goes a long ways. However, that is happening less and less do to her swing path. What I'm looking for are GIFs, video, etc that show the correct swing path that I can show to her. Also, any drill recommendations would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hello! One of the girls on my DD's middle school team and travel team, is having some trouble with chopping (swinging down at the ball). She is a very athletic girl and when she squares it up it goes a long ways. However, that is happening less and less do to her swing path. What I'm looking for are GIFs, video, etc that show the correct swing path that I can show to her. Also, any drill recommendations would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!!

One contributor to a downward swing is the failure to tilt the shoulders properly during the swing. If they're not tilted enough, that is, if they remain nearly level to contact, the batter must swing down to compensate, especially on pitches that are low.

My DD still swings slightly down, not the point that many would notice, but something that doesn't match a 'high-level' swing. Trying to get her swing to finish higher. And while she does tilt her shoulders, she's trying to learn to do it better, with a lateral tilt - where back shoulder drops toward the back hip during the swing.

Here's a gif that FFS posted on another thread. Notice the 'scrunch' or 'pinch' (can't think of the right word) in the back as he launches swing.

30agpxg.gif

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
GA
One contributor to a downward swing is the failure to tilt the shoulders properly during the swing. If they're not tilted enough, that is, if they remain nearly level to contact, the batter must swing down to compensate, especially on pitches that are low.

My DD still swings slightly down, not the point that many would notice, but something that doesn't match a 'high-level' swing. Trying to get her swing to finish higher. And while she does tilt her shoulders, she's trying to learn to do it better, with a lateral tilt - where back shoulder drops toward the back hip during the swing.

Here's a gif that FFS posted on another thread. Notice the 'scrunch' or 'pinch' (can't think of the right word) in the back as he launches swing.

30agpxg.gif

Thanks Coogan! This is good stuff!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs