HELP- Want an effective weekly hitting drill routine for 10 yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
I am looking for help creating a schedule of drills to help my 10 yr old become the best hitter possible. Are there certain combinations of drills that work better together and do you alternate between different drills on different days? Do you have a set amount of repetitions and a how many days a week? I know that alot of you are further along in your journey with your DD's so I want to rely on your experience.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jun 29, 2013
Well I have been there recently with my dd and she will be 10 in december for the last year we have made sure to swing the bat at least 100 times a day 6 times a week using mostly front toss wiffles,and t work for working on specific problems.She now plays on one of the top 10u teams in our area and is currently hitting .545 over the 3 fall tournaments we have played in,in which we placed 1st 3rd and 2nd respectively.Make sure you read and understand alot before you work hard on specific mechanical issues.

May 31, 2009
After your dd is taught the proper mechanics, then it's all about repetition. She needs to practice hitting a moving ball everyday. The "Ultimate Hitting Machine" is a really good hitting aid for her to use if you can't be there everyday to soft toss to her. Just set up a net in the backyard or garage and let her hit into it everyday

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In this area, and this is why the teams from here would never be able to compete with the best travel teams out there, there would be no player swinging the bat 100 times a day six days a week. I guess it's due to the fact that people simply do not understand, nor do they have the desire (players and parents) to do what it takes. A few weeks back, one of my players asked if I thought she might get good enough to play college ball. I had to hold back my chuckle. Of course I believe this gal has the potential to play in college, but I do not think it will happen as she would need to work much harder than she is willing to work. Given the norm around here is that most players don't do much of anything in the off-season (now through February) to improve themselves in softball, the coach is the one who looks like he's expecting too much when he wants to help them during the off-season.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am looking for help creating a schedule of drills to help my 10 yr old become the best hitter possible. Are there certain combinations of drills that work better together and do you alternate between different drills on different days? Do you have a set amount of repetitions and a how many days a week? I know that alot of you are further along in your journey with your DD's so I want to rely on your experience.

Thanks in advance for your help

My two cents...

There isn't one set of drills that will develop a player into "the best hitter possible" because each player is different, and must be taught as such. Hitting drills are typically used to reinforce, isolate, or reprogram specific parts of the swing to help correct flaws. While there are some common flaws among young hitters, they aren't universal to ALL players, and each player is unique in how they understand and adapt to instruction. What might be very effective for one player might only add confusion for another.

There are packaged hitting lesson programs that take the player through a series of lessons and drills. These can be very useful for a lot of people, but - particularly for a young player - the teacher (dad, typically) must be able to adapt the lesson/drill to the individual student and the way the student processes the information. To do that, the teacher must have a good grasp on the material, other ways to approach the same lesson, and an understanding of the goal.

If you want specific help for your DD, I encourage you to post video of her swing, and start digesting the advice you'll get on how to help her improve. At the same time, start you own journey on becoming a student of the swing yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

I would have her do 10-15 slow - motion swings (matrix) getting in her mind the sequence of the swing. Feet, hips, pull the upper body around, then hands/arms through, big finish
10 - 15 reverse hand swings with light game bat off tee
10-15 swings with small amount of weight of the handle hitting balls off the tee, light pro-cut.
10-15 on some kind of walk up drill off tee, slow with rhythm
15-20 off the tee with the whip hit. Balls straight up the middle
10-15 soft toss hitting up the middle
10-15 working outside of plate soft toss, hitting opposite field, dont rotate too far on this drill
20 self toss. 10 you throw up in the air and time, 10 you bounce off the ground and time. Hitter does these on her own at the end. No instruction, except to try and have good ball flight, rising line drive

3 times a week
Put together another workout if you hit more than three times a week

All this can be done in the garage with a bucket of balls, pop up net and a small amount of time.

With all these drills do the amount of balls and not harp on ball flight with every one. Ball flight will get better with time.

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
South carolina
Thank you to those that responded. Thank you especially straightleg for giving me an actual list. This is exactly what I was looking for. I hope my DD will benefit from this as much as your DD has.

Dec 26, 2008
StraightLeg has given you some good drills (BTW, his DD is very accomplished at the plate using them)!

I would add in pitching some wiffle golf balls (we use a stick to hit but you can buy a bat ball combo),
Using a Hurricane. (She can use this on her own just about anywhere there is enough room to swing a bat safely). Added plus it will help break in the walls of a CF bat...

A day at the cages working on "bunting" and hitting with dad...

As she develops (and weather permitts) take her out to a field and let her practice throwing up a ball and hitting it...
We would start at 2nd base and aim for the fences then progress to pitchers mound then, home plate as DD starts driving to or over the fence consistantly move back.... As she gets older start practicing placing the ball..Fun Drill

Main thing is "keep it fresh" by using a "variety of drills" ...notice SL had (3 days a week)...She needs to practice "throwing" and fielding too...As she learns to throw using the leggs and follow through it will help her hitting...

I would also suggest working on "stretching" and small/light weight drills, squeeze ball, wrist rolls 1LB, jump rope or some plyo (bridges and planks) to work on flexibility and build a little strength when not hitting...This area is HUGE to gain exit speeds/distance..

Just do not over do it. 20/30 min workouts and 60 min hitting workouts are fine for her age and MOM or DAD can do them too....
As she develops (in a year or so), 8lb medicine ball drills and working up to 5lb Dbells.

Like SL stated do not over critique or over work.. you do not want to burn her out... Having a friend/teammate or family member work with her helps...
Remember QUALITY work outs over quanity....

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I like SL suggestions a lot I would add the heavy ball drill from Howard IMO it stimulates the muscles and vision, soft toss light ball (waffle ball), baseball, soft ball heavy ball (TCB) ball then repeat. helps with bat speed.

I like hitting balls from the tee from the nine hitting zones, I will also air through a pitch and call a hitting zone and batter will practice to hit a ball at that pitch location.

Just a few suggestion to add a few wrinkles to your practice.

Be sure and practice tracking the ball when hitting from a tee or soft toss.

Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

I would have her do 10-15 slow - motion swings (matrix) getting in her mind the sequence of the swing. Feet, hips, pull the upper body around, then hands/arms through, big finish
10 - 15 reverse hand swings with light game bat off tee
10-15 swings with small amount of weight of the handle hitting balls off the tee, light pro-cut.
10-15 on some kind of walk up drill off tee, slow with rhythm
15-20 off the tee with the whip hit. Balls straight up the middle
10-15 soft toss hitting up the middle
10-15 working outside of plate soft toss, hitting opposite field, dont rotate too far on this drill
20 self toss. 10 you throw up in the air and time, 10 you bounce off the ground and time. Hitter does these on her own at the end. No instruction, except to try and have good ball flight, rising line drive

3 times a week
Put together another workout if you hit more than three times a week

All this can be done in the garage with a bucket of balls, pop up net and a small amount of time.

With all these drills do the amount of balls and not harp on ball flight with every one. Ball flight will get better with time.

Straightleg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog