Helmet Cam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I mounted an Ion Air Pro 2 to a batting helmet and shot some video of players hitting off a tee:
[video=youtube_share;R7gwWEoU5KA]http://youtu.be/R7gwWEoU5KA[/video]

I'm trying to decide if this is in any way useful. It might be better with live pitching or off a machine.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What's really cool is when you add a second camera in a fixed location off to the side or behind. Then using some post processing, merge them together. Helps see so many things working together.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When hitting off the tee, having them start their visual focus where the pitcher would normally be and then moving that focus to the tee is a better simulation of the tracking they need to use during live hitting. The helmet cam view would provide independent confirmation to the player whether that was happening or not (an observer doesn't need the video to tell). IMO, the most interesting use of the helmet cam would be on the catcher's helmet. Might be really cool twist on a skills video.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
When hitting off the tee, having them start their visual focus where the pitcher would normally be and then moving that focus to the tee is a better simulation of the tracking they need to use during live hitting. The helmet cam view would provide independent confirmation to the player whether that was happening or not (an observer doesn't need the video to tell). IMO, the most interesting use of the helmet cam would be on the catcher's helmet. Might be really cool twist on a skills video.

Thanks. That's why I was thinking it would be more useful off live pitching or off the machine, so you can see how well they are tracking the ball. I've thought about the catcher's helmet also (I bought the 2 year replacement warranty!).

What's really cool is when you add a second camera in a fixed location off to the side or behind. Then using some post processing, merge them together. Helps see so many things working together.

Get a gopro too! More cameras the better!

My next purchase is a DRONE for aerial shots!:cool:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks. That's why I was thinking it would be more useful off live pitching or off the machine, so you can see how well they are tracking the ball. I've thought about the catcher's helmet also (I bought the 2 year replacement warranty!).

My next purchase is a DRONE for aerial shots!:cool:

Good, drone aerial shots are much safer than the ladder/rooftop shots favored by PerfectCircle! Just don't cross the FAA or your next DFP post might be an emergency plea for bail $.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri

The problem we have found is that it follows the head and not the eyes. I get sea sick watching POV baseball/softball video.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06