"Hello elbow"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Howell ... nice post. Regarding an example of a high-end happy elbow pitcher ... from memory, and I don't have any video handy to confirm this, ... but was last year's senior from Florida a happy-elbow type pitcher?

Nope, just an injured pitcher trying to get thru her senior season.

Aug 19, 2011
Howell ... nice post. Regarding an example of a high-end happy elbow pitcher ... from memory, and I don't have any video handy to confirm this, ... but was last year's senior from Florida a happy-elbow type pitcher?

I recorded everything I could from WCWS, so I'll look when I have a minute. There are certainly some college pitchers I've seen who retain the hello elbow follow-through, but just as a style thing like Finch and the young pitcher in this thread. In my video challenge, I was referring to internal rotation. I haven't seen a single elite pitcher on clear video who had her hand behind the ball on the downswing, who pushed through. Hand behind the ball on the downswing means a locked elbow, and everyone I've seen who throws hard leads with a bent elbow and whips it. You've got more video of everything than anybody I know; do you have an example of a pitcher who can throw 60+ and movement with a straight arm?

Jan 25, 2011
Totally disagree, you slap thru the puck not across it, you drive thru a pitch not across it. In a hit you have very strong hip rotation and the bat will carry you around after contact, but you would intentionally pull across your body. But I'm not sure of many coaches that teach to swing around your body. If you are taking an outside pitch to the opposite field you drive away from you body not across. Golf you do not drive across the body. You want the face of the club perpendicular to the ball. If you are coming across an object the possibility of hitting it dead on straight is reduced to perfect timing.

You can say her arm does come across somewhat, but to say "more across the body" would not be accurate.

2. You can not compare a baseball pitch to a softball pitch, the mechanics are totally different. Baseball pitch is thrown in a downward motion, you have gravity and momentum pulling you thru the pitch.
I have in the last 3 weeks, watched some of the best or thee best pitchers in mens & womens softball in the world, let me repeat that THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!! None, I repeat NONE of them pitch the way that you descripe.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I recorded everything I could from WCWS, so I'll look when I have a minute. There are certainly some college pitchers I've seen who retain the hello elbow follow-through, but just as a style thing like Finch and the young pitcher in this thread. In my video challenge, I was referring to internal rotation. I haven't seen a single elite pitcher on clear video who had her hand behind the ball on the downswing, who pushed through. Hand behind the ball on the downswing means a locked elbow, and everyone I've seen who throws hard leads with a bent elbow and whips it. You've got more video of everything than anybody I know; do you have an example of a pitcher who can throw 60+ and movement with a straight arm?

Bold above ... no, I don't have any examples of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12