H web mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I was looking at fastpitch catcher's mitts the last few weeks, and it seems to me that the number of offerings with H web far outnumbers those with closed web. There are still great mitts available in closed web(DD's preference), so not a real issue, but I'm curious if this is the direction CM's are "evolving".

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2010
There are plenty of closed-webs Allstar, Easton, Lville Slugger, Mizuno, Nokona, Wilson in fact the majority of mfgs use a closed back design. Imho I would say that the H-webs have become popular because they give the illusion of a larger pocket by leaving the straps longer and giving them a bowl like shape. And it may work, my DD uses a 32.5" in 14u where I believe a closed-web in that circumference would not do as well for her.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Closed pockets and H-webs both have some things going for them. The DD's Worth from a few years back had a closed pocket with extra stiff leather. It took FOREVER to break in! But fastballs sounded like a howitzer being fired when the ball hit that glove! I actually saw a couple of batters jump. Even change-ups sounded like a shotgun. H-webs will not produce that type of intimidating "pop."

H-webs do allow the umpire to see the ball in the glove as it's caught and can influence the umpire in seeing a strike at the corners. Closed pockets do not allow the umpire this luxury and the catcher must be all the more diligent in utilizing proper receiving skills to show the pitches on the corners as strikes.

I tend to be old school and prefer the closed pocket providing the catcher is utilizing proper receiving skills. In the end, either pocket style will work well so long as it is fitted properly and maintained.

-Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA