Guru's on Twitter III

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
giphy.gif

Like I said earlier, the hands are TTB and taking the barrel away from the body. She is losing the hinge angle because she taking the barrel away from the body with the hands.

There is no bat drag of any kind, because she is leading the sequence with the hands (hands ahead of the lowerbody/hips/torso)

Since the hands are being used to TTB, instead of the forearms, there really isn't a rotation point being set with the hands. Instead of a rotational point being set up, she is TTB with the hands. There is no engine to help the turn because she is using the hands instead of the forearms.

Shawn ... IMO the issue is not one of 'forearms' vs 'hands', but of sequence and not using the torso/hip-engine appropriately.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn ... IMO the issue is not one of 'forearms' vs 'hands', but of sequence and not using the torso/hip-engine appropriately.

I can agree with that. Since this is a drill and there is no use of the torso/hip engine, it does make it hard to have a good swing without a proper sequence. Nothing to turn the forearms.

May 12, 2016
Like RDB said.. not crazy about the back foot in the setup. In this drill I believe the hitter is in a loaded position already and is being asked to TTB on command. In regard to lag, I see lag. The barrel is turning rearward as the hip/core (and I agree this movement could be better) is turning forward. How can that not result in lag? I believe if we were seeing this ladies full swing the core/hips would be more engaged.

Question for everybody.. what difference does it make how the hitter turns the barrel if the barrel turns rearward appropriately.

Question for Shawn.. explain to me why the hands TTB takes the barrel away from the body.. vs forearms? I tried the movement.. and it seems like the hands and forearms need to work together ... unless I become elbow focused than I can see how the hands are taken out of the equation more. But then I feel like my hands are dead. I can't isolate forearms vs hands, they have to work together for me

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In regards to “how” to turn the barrel. IMO this is a reaction not an action.First off the body must get in front to support the hands/barrel(sequence). If not done in this order many problems can arise such as casting , dumping and or stalling. In the case of the drill swing posted , she casted the barrel out away from her body first creating a longer barrel path(no support).

I believe the first thread about ‘Gurus’ on here addresses these issues.

IMO the sequence needs to be taught with educated hands( hand path , barrel path).Turn the barrel will be realized instead of sought after.This has been my experience learning swing mechanics. IMO this is the way to attack swing flaws. My .02

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In regards to “how” to turn the barrel. IMO this is a reaction not an action.First off the body must get in front to support the hands/barrel(sequence). If not done in this order many problems can arise such as casting , dumping and or stalling. In the case of the drill swing posted , she casted the barrel out away from her body first creating a longer barrel path(no support).

I believe the first thread about ‘Gurus’ on here addresses these issues.

IMO the sequence needs to be taught with educated hands( hand path , barrel path).Turn the barrel will be realized instead of sought after.This has been my experience learning swing mechanics. IMO this is the way to attack swing flaws. My .02

Yes she is casting.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Like RDB said.. not crazy about the back foot in the setup. In this drill I believe the hitter is in a loaded position already and is being asked to TTB on command. In regard to lag, I see lag. The barrel is turning rearward as the hip/core (and I agree this movement could be better) is turning forward. How can that not result in lag? I believe if we were seeing this ladies full swing the core/hips would be more engaged.

Question for everybody.. what difference does it make how the hitter turns the barrel if the barrel turns rearward appropriately.

Question for Shawn.. explain to me why the hands TTB takes the barrel away from the body.. vs forearms? I tried the movement.. and it seems like the hands and forearms need to work together ... unless I become elbow focused than I can see how the hands are taken out of the equation more. But then I feel like my hands are dead. I can't isolate forearms vs hands, they have to work together for me

The forearms are a more proximal segments while the hands are the most distal. The hands release the barrel to soon in the swing.

The forarms focus helps set up a more rotational point while the hands can easily release the barrel to soon. 5frames in the past called it structure in the swing, forearms create structure.

May 12, 2016
The forearms are a more proximal segments while the hands are the most distal. The hands release the barrel to soon in the swing.

The forarms focus helps set up a more rotational point while the hands can easily release the barrel to soon. 5frames in the past called it structure in the swing, forearms create structure.

I can't think of any cue to rotate forearms and not hands. They both just want to work together. Any tips?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

The 'how' is key. Very important that the "short hands" begin as the torso/hip-engine pulls. Review the 'short hands' video. This is what causes 'structure' to be built along the forearms ... it is why folks speak of the bottom-hand/lead-arm finding the ball ... it is also why the lead-arm can be thought of as the 'swinger'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles