Guest playing protocols

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Does any of this change if the subs in question are "next year's" new player on the team?
Not IMO. The new kid is getting some experience with her next team. DD practiced with her new team, but was not asked to travel to JO Cup in NY. The team actually picked up a pitcher from GA looking to get some exposure. Seem like DD's team often picked up players at National events throughout the years. Those players got playing time.

I heard stories of Texas kids picking up at PGF and not playing. I would be pissed. That's a very expensive trip for nothing.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I heard stories of Texas kids picking up at PGF and not playing. I would be pissed. That's a very expensive trip for nothing.

Yeah Id be beyond livid. Unless my kids trip is paid for, there is absolutely no way they would be allowed to take a trip like that if they arent going to play.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
it confounds me why any parent would tolerate their paying DD sitting the bench while a guest player plays their position.
Not to derail the thread but I can't count on 2 hands and both feet how many times I`ve overheard parents in the stands say, "I'm perfectly fine with my kid sitting all weekend if we'd just win a tournament!" this year alone. I can't tell you how many of my past players went to A teams even though they weren't even close to that level of play, sit all weekend long and brag about all the games and tournaments they've won and the player and her parents are perfectly fine with it. Of course they're playing B tournaments but they're taking home hardware to show off to prospective teams and players being recruited. I can't fathom that kind of thinking either.

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I'm spinning this off the Hissy Quits thread, because I think it brings up an interesting set of questions about guest playing.

I've got two sets of questions, i guess. The first is as a player/parent, what are your expectations when it comes to guest playing? Do you think if you are invited to play, you should play, period, or do you see yourself/your Dd as just there to help out if needed? Does it matter how far you traveled for the tourney -- if you're a local who got picked up, should you have different expectations than if you're a peer of the team, ie you traveled with them to someplace out of state? Does it matter if you know the team already? Do you have conversations witht eh coach beforehand, or are you/your DD just happy for another chance to play?

Secondly, as a coach who is bringing in guest players. How much responsibility do you feel to them? Do you feel more responsibility to your own team, or to the girl who is making a sacrifice (?) to help you out? If you have a guest player who is clearly better than your own player at a position, are you inclined to play them over your own? And if you do, how do you justify it to your team? Does it matter to you if you invited them, or if they sought you out (responding to a Facebook post you made about needing players, for example)?

We've had a mix. Because we live in Colorado, DD got the chance to play with a team from Florida for Sparkler who posted on Facebook they needed a pitcher. I wrote them and they were thrilled to have an emergency arm. When they saw her pitch, they weren't overly impressed, but they were very nice the whole time, put her in to pinch run a few times during pool play. Then they had one of their players get hurt and another left early, so when it got to bracket play she was their starting first baseman -- made it to the semifinals, so she ended up playing every inning of five straight games (no errors, I'm proud to say). So that was three days of doing nothing and then two days of full time -- and interesting mix. But she's also guest pitched for a few local teams, and has had a couple of tourneys where she was invited and then barely got in at all.

For our team, our coach goes out of her way to reward guest players. We've recruited local pitchers when we've been shorthanded out of time, and she always makes sure they get at least a start if not more. And she's not been hesitant to start a guest over one of her own -- not because she thinks the guest is better, but to show her appreciation for them coming out. Not sure how I feel about that, so I thought I'd toss out what other folks feelings were about these strangers who occasionally invade our teams :)
Of course a coach should show appreciation for a guest player showing up, but that coach should show more appreciation for the players who (I assume) pay to be part of the program and show up every week. If I was a parent of a team member who sat for the better part of an entire game/tournament to make way for a guest player, I would be rightfully upset about it. Make sure the guest gets some playing time, but less of it than each of the regular players. The regular players are the team.

Sep 19, 2018
Of course a coach should show appreciation for a guest player showing up, but that coach should show more appreciation for the players who (I assume) pay to be part of the program and show up every week. If I was a parent of a team member who sat for the better part of an entire game/tournament to make way for a guest player, I would be rightfully upset about it. Make sure the guest gets some playing time, but less of it than each of the regular players. The regular players are the team.

I get that the regulars are the team. But the guest also needs to want to come back.

If your DD was asked to guest and only played in 1 or 2 games out of 3 on Saturday and sat all day Sunday, would you be willing to guest for that team again? I don't think I would. Maybe if it was hyper local, but certainy not if it included travel.

My dd was asked to guest. They said, "Be on the field at 7:00 AM." We got up early, traveled to the field, was comletely ignored by girls she did not know, then sat the first game. Are you kidding me? Sorry, I did not need to get up at 5:30 AM to not play until 11:00.

I am OK taking a turn on the bench like everyone else, but my dd better spend an aweful lot of time in the game.

I enjoy watching softball, but not enough to watch complete strangers play while my dd is on the bench.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I get that the regulars are the team. But the guest also needs to want to come back.

If your DD was asked to guest and only played in 1 or 2 games out of 3 on Saturday and sat all day Sunday, would you be willing to guest for that team again? I don't think I would. Maybe if it was hyper local, but certainy not if it included travel.

My dd was asked to guest. They said, "Be on the field at 7:00 AM." We got up early, traveled to the field, was comletely ignored by girls she did not know, then sat the first game. Are you kidding me? Sorry, I did not need to get up at 5:30 AM to not play until 11:00.

I am OK taking a turn on the bench like everyone else, but my dd better spend an aweful lot of time in the game.

I enjoy watching softball, but not enough to watch complete strangers play while my dd is on the bench.
You would be getting a better deal than a player whose family pays for the privilege of being on the team in addition to the expense of attending the tournament, but then sits in favor of your guest daughter who just pays the tournament expense. A guest really has no rights here. But if the coaches are gong to ask her to show up, they should find a way to get her a reasonable amount of playing time without slighting the regular players.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
When DD (catcher) was asked to guest play, we asked the coach exactly how much he/she was going to play her and what the circumstances were that led him/her to need a guest player. Once we had a clear understanding of what her playing time would be, we would make the decision if we would go or not. Sometimes she would play every inning, sometimes not. Almost always batted (power hitter). Also depended on the team's level of play, the type of tournament, etc.

Reactions: PDM
Jun 23, 2018
Texas
You would be getting a better deal than a player whose family pays for the privilege of being on the team in addition to the expense of attending the tournament, but then sits in favor of your guest daughter who just pays the tournament expense. A guest really has no rights here. But if the coaches are gong to ask her to show up, they should find a way to get her a reasonable amount of playing time without slighting the regular players.
Here's the problem I see. If a coach is looking for a guest player, then he SHOULD have a need. Playing time should not be an issue for existing players or pickups. IMO if anyone gets upset with playing time, it is the coaches fault.

Reactions: PDM

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm perhaps the issue isnt the playing time,
Rather the problem is the difference between words spoken and what really happens.

Seriously here
How many people have joined a team were the coach tells you immediately
coach says
'by the way when we start entering competitive tournaments, I'm going to pick up guest players', ' by the way when we get to National I'm going to pick up guest players.'

Certainly that could/would prompt further
Playing time concern/conversation!!!

Quite posibly affecting making commitments in the first place.

As i'm writing this
Hmmm cant really recall this topic comming out of a coaches mouth
''Btw thanku for joining my team. Just KNOW i will be picking up guest players, and your dd will have to share playing time with other players not on the team.
Again thanks for joining my team.'

*This is probly an IMPORTANT parents need to ask upfront in the beginning, & still be aware it can happen later. Regardless because of injuries or players quit, low roster.

May 6, 2015
DDs coach has never picked up guests (and when he did, it was girls in the same org) unless they were below 10 for at least part of the day.

at a couple of local tournaments, a few girls were going to be late, ie miss first 1 or 2 pool games. he asked guests to play, gave them the option of staying after girls arrived, but they would probably only see a couple of innings.

upfront, clear, and honest communication would prevent 90% of the drama in the world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma