Guest Player - Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
This is a Rec league and doesn’t affect our family but I see some blow back coming.

In hindsight we shouldn’t have had a guest player but it sort of happened because some injured players were able to play so at game time we had 11 players, we might have had 8 so no one better have an Issue with the quest player being there.

I see the Issue as the guest player played the entire game at C when some of the regulars sat out 2 innings of a 5 inning game. She also batted 3rd in the lineup, I bet she is dying to come guest play for us again. DD sat out 1 inning which is fine but I would be annoyed if DD sat out 2 innings and the guest player played the entire game.

We have 1 player that is working on catching, I would be really annoyed if I was them.

This is the first year we have allowed guest players and I do not think we have figured it out yet.

May 22, 2011
St Louis, MO
We have ran across this a few times. I believe a guest player should be used due to injury or lack of players that can attend. They should be placed in the position that is missing as to not affect any of the players who are able to attend.

I really hate when a team has to use the ace P of another team just to get wins in a tournament situation. I see nothing to boast about for winning without your own team. Proves nothing to me.

May 5, 2013
Ohio
Our Rec Leaugue does not allow us to have a "guest" player play while a regular player sits. It makes it hard if your regular player has never played the outed position

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In hindsight we shouldn’t have had a guest player but it sort of happened because some injured players were able to play so at game time we had 11 players, we might have had 8 so no one better have an Issue with the quest player being there.
Did 3 girls tell the coach they probably wouldn't be able to play?
If so maybe that's why he asked a guest player and told her where she'd be playing to get her to show up.
I'd have probably split most of the bench time between the 3 girls who told me they wouldn't be able to play but showed up.
At any rate w/o additional information on what the guest player was told, I wouldn't jump to blame the coach.

Though in our rec league it's a bit more casual I guess as we would have played with 8 since the #9 isn't an auto out under our rec rules.

Apr 13, 2013
We have always fielded 9 players but I agree with you and have had a conversation with the HC about it. I have no Issue with having a RC and LC and show me your wheels. I like watching players play, go get the ball!

The guest player made sense before the game, during the game it did not. I am not blaming the HC and have no idea what they told her.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
In our rec legue the game is forfeited if there are not enough players but allow the short handed team to pick up a guest(s) player so the girls still get to play a game. The guest players usually find themselves in the outfield, I'm not sure if that is a legue or a coach thing but it has happened a few times in the course of our season

Mar 18, 2013
My daughters have both filled in for teams that were short on regular players. If they got anything less than equal treatment from the team they agreed to help that would have been the last time they agreed to help. They don't have to receive any special treatment (like playing more than a normal rotation) but I would expect them to be played according to their ability relative to the rest of the team, whether that is higher or lower.

If anything, I would be questioning the three players that say they won't be there and then decide to show up.

Apr 13, 2013
2 players, DD was one of them. There was a communications issue, not sure what happened with DD and have no idea about the other player. The communications Issue was not on our end but it was a mess, we had 10 players on the filed a couple times.

Pickup player is better than any catcher we have, she is good.

Treating her equally, or a little better, then our players is OK. I am not sure about her playing the entire game when we have a few players sitting out 2 innings.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A guest player is invited to do just that - play. If they don't, you won't be able to get guest players in the future.

IMO, its on the HC to decide how much and which of his regular players sit to accomodate the guest. 2 bench innings for several players doesn't seem appropriate unless all the other regular players have sat at least 1 inning also.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
10 players on the team minus 2 who weren't supposed to play plus 1 guest player who was filling in to help make a 9 player field? Then the 2 players who weren't supposed to be there decide to play? I would have sat the 2 who weren't supposed to be there at least 1 inning each and put them at the bottom of the batting order and put the sub ahead of them. Coach wasn't counting on them to be there and didn't have them in the game plan. Sub and probably parents took time out of their day to get her to an extra game with probably only a couple days notice.

DD has subbed for other teams before before. She played her preferred position (C) 4 innings and CF 2 innings and batted at the bottom of the order. I thought that was fair especially since it shocked the other team when the #9 batter crushed the ball over the OF heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd