Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Here's something a little weird, but this is the off-topic forum! And since I'm the most professional researcher here....I'm here to help!

A couple of incredible / high value water products.

Anyone here ever heard of Speakman shower heads? When me and Lisa bought our first house in 1999 a contractor buddy of mine introduced the Speakman brand to me. I bought one for our master bathroom in 1999, I brought it with us when we bought our current house in 2009. Last night I took it down, took it apart and let it soak in Simple Green for a couple of hours and blew it out with compressed air. Put it back on and it's just as good and strong as it was in 1999! Awesome, solid, heavy all metal shower head, and a awesome product!

Amazon product ASIN B004XA284E

Next on the list,

Bon-Aire water hose nozzle, the last hose nozzle you'll ever buy! I have a couple of them, mine is the aluminum version, they now offer a higher cost stainless steel one. The only place I've ever actually saw one in a store was at Northern Tool, my newest one came from Amazon. The first one I bought was for the same first house in 1999, it still works like new! The only reason I bought a new one, I was looking for one for the shop here, Amazon had a special price for a two pack of them so I bought two for the shop, and also another two, one for me and one for my neighbor. I'm telling you, Bon-Aire is the only nozzle I'll ever spend money on!

Amazon product ASIN B0001L0DFA

Just a couple reviews from your old Uncle ANNASDAD, pretty weird huh, but just incase anyone was in the market?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
One of the dads on my older daughter's last team used to bring his own showerhead to every away tournament. He said he couldn't stand the hotel's low-flow restrictors, so he brought a head, pipe tape, and a wrench in his suitcase. I never realized that the man was a genius until I saw how bad the showerhead in Chicago was this past week.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
One of the dads on my older daughter's last team used to bring his own showerhead to every away tournament. He said he couldn't stand the hotel's low-flow restrictors, so he brought a head, pipe tape, and a wrench in his suitcase. I never realized that the man was a genius until I saw how bad the showerhead in Chicago was this past week.
The way I found out about the Speakman heads, that contractor’s dad had a place at the beach, back home the dad had a pretty powerful lawyer who lived on his same street.

The dad sent the lawyer and his wife to his beach house for their anniversary. While the lawyer was there he bought two Speakman heads for both showers and never said a word about it, no one knew until they went down for a weekend.

I had never heard of them before that, 24 years later…..

Jan 8, 2019
The guys that run the outside work all carry pistols all the time. Heard a story that they don’t take grizzly bears lightly at all. My nervousness is fueled by a book I read read years ago called “Death In Yellowstone” and it lists all the ways people die in the park and it usually involves tourists doing stupid stuff. Some of it was grizzly bears snatching people out of tents and running hikers down and crunching them up. I ordered “Death In Glacier, Tales of Accidents and Foolhardiness“ but havent read it yet, but I bet there are a few bear stories!
Reminded me of a story from a guide my family knew in AK in 2009 (long read):

Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!

King season is over, and since i had a day off before silvers start, i
thought i would go for a walk! this occurred at 11:16 am this morning, just
2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (trying to
get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the record, this is in a
residential area-not back in the woods, no bowhunting, no stealth
occurring...

I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie, ears
back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no woof, no
popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on
TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second!
Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general direction, and praise
God that my second shot (or was it my
third?) Rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I
was shooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the
last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my
first shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000 lbs
and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-its paw
measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! its always some other smuck,
right? well, no bull- i am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a knot.
feels like i did 10000 crunches without stopping!
almost puked for an hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as
the troopers conducted their investigation! totally wiped me out- cant even
put that feeling into words, by far the most emotion i have ever felt at
once!

No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and some
"hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed to draw and
snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total luck shot!

Anybody want to write up the story? I have pretty good pictures!!!
Interesting stuff, but the real point of the article needs to focus on what
all local here agree on... ADF&G'S MIS-MANAGEMENT OF OUR LOCAL BEARS and how
they underestimate our population, wont allow a fair- chase hunt, and
consequently our kenai peninsula bears now have no predators, are way too
aggressive/bold, and numbers are skyrocketing!
Did you know that last week i had two chase my dog UNDER my daughters
trampoline 5 feet from our house! and last summer, we had 13 brownies in our
yard! we have bear "proof" garbage cans, no dog food outside, no bird
feeders, no fish carcasses/eggs...nothing to contribute to this situation!
anyway, as you can tell, i am fed up with it, and wont even hesitate to
shoot on sight the next brown bear that sets foot in my yard!!! game on!

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife
and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRY to get
some sleep now!
There are pics if anyone is interested. Huge bear!

Dec 11, 2010
Good for you and your wife, that's awesome!

I'm a Grizzly and Polar Bear junkie, love reading and watching documentaries on both, seriously deadly apex predators!
With a Grizzly.....
Speed.
Unbelievable power.
Weight.
Serious clamping force.
And those claws.
And most people probably won't believe this, an adult male Grizzly can outrun a horse in a quarter mile, and.....climb a tree, that's a pretty bad combination for a human being that runs across one out in the wild! I can imagine the attack scene in "The Revenant" is pretty spot on, it didn't look like too much fun!

And with a Polar Bear, it's known as one of the only predators that will hunt, stalk, and kill a human being, they're not nice! Experts say they're meaner and more dangerous than a Grizzly! I'm not messing with anything that will swim a 100 miles just to kill and eat me!

I've been on a Underwood Ammo kick lately, it's fantastic ammo!
I just started my “Death in Glacier” book. In the preface he uses the phrase “Charismatic Mega-Fauna”, lol!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
THATS what I’m talking about, lol! And 350 grainers! Big bullets!
We know we have some more powerful big bore revolvers like the .460 and .500 S&W magnums, but the old school .454 Casull is no joke! I've shot one once, the gun shop where I bought my very first legal pistol purchase (Glock 17 9mm), the owner handed me a I think a Ruger Super Redhawk and one .454 Casull round and told me to go around back and fire it. Yeah, very old school and in a pretty remote area, but....also in a neighborhood, his gun shop was at his house! That's back when Glock only made one pistol model, the 17.

@Westwind, check out the specs on this .454 Casull load.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@Westwind, check these specs against your Buffalo Bore Ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie