GRIT~ be Willing to get hit by the ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My kid is one of those, too. She's been the HBP leader of almost every team she's been on. Her current stats have her at 7 (out of 57 PA), with second place at 3.

As for using her body on defense...well...she's a catcher. Goes with the territory.
DD also catcher/3rd and has 187 PAs and been hit 23 times. Helps her .530 OBP. She wears elbow guard that has saved her more than a few times. If your DD is a yes yes yes hitter, she will naturally lean over the plate a little. In my observation, players that never get hit aren't very good hitters generally. Catcher have an advantage when they play 3rd because they have been naturally taught to block the ball. Pet peeve time.... runner on first trying to go from 1st to 3rd on base hit to to RF and the (non catcher) 3rd baseman lets ball thrown get past them and run scores. Then the player that got base hits gets to 3rd on the late throw home. GRRRRRR. I have said it before but will say it again, using tennis balls with a tennis racquet and blasting the balls at her from about 50 feet works. Hit them hard. Tennis balls will sting but not break bones.

Apr 17, 2019
All coaches need to teach the younger players how to react for their safety. It's amazing how many don't teach it.

100% agree. I do this at the start of 10u every year. Most kids do the reactive jump away/stretch the arms out. I model this position and have the kids point out all the reasons it's a bad idea. - Exposing the ribs, the fingers, and locking the elbow into a vulnerable position. Then tell them getting hit will happen occasionally, and it's important to know how to get hit. it's just like turning the hips to swing; only the other way. Turn the hips slightly away, pull the elbow in tight. Protects ribs, elbow, fingers, expose the meaty bits where it hurts less. Nothing too complicated!

After they're taught, I'll throw the foam softballs into the bucket during BP occasionally. I try to disguise which one I'm picking up and try to plunk them with it. If they see a foam ball coming out of my hand, they know to protect. It's not exactly the same, but I think it teaches what it looks like when a pitch is coming at you too - vs just an inside pitch.

Most kids go through a scared of the ball phase, usually around 10u, usually the first time they encounter a flamethrower. Give them the tools to know they can protect themselves before they meet her on the field. And, please coaches, never shame a kid for being scared. I see that too. Then they're scared of the ball, and of letting coach down! Chance of them getting a hit that at-bat? ~.01%. If they're scared, I let them know that if they want to gear up like a football player to step into the box, that's fine with me, as long as they step in with confidence, ready to hit! Also, the best protection is to hit the ball before it can hit you.

a USA tourney the UIC was telling all girls that didnt make an attempt to move and got hit that it was not a free base and a ball only. This was the game preceding our game and we have never seen a call like it before nor can I find it in any book. (maybe someone can help me out on that one)
We had an ump do that to us last year too! Before the game he announced to both teams that they had to make an attempt to get out of the way. Really irritated me as it got in the girls heads and they were jumping out on inside strikes (pitcher was throwing heat, but these batters would normally battle). Umps, don't do that ahead of the game. If a girl stands there and takes one intentionally when she had time to move; call it. If it's smoking in and she's reacting to protect herself as she's been taught, seems like that's not the intent of the rule....

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's team would get out of running if they met a certain number of HBP for the team. DD led that summer for HBP. 13! Twice the umpire called her back because he said she leaned into the pitch. Our coach flipped out, since the ball was called a ball. Since she is a catcher, her arms are littered with ball marks from blocking bad pitches.

Jul 8, 2020
On the flip side, a pitcher should not be afraid to hit a batter. I'm a pitchers dad :). Need to be able to go inside without fear. especially when girls crowd the plate and their elbow is hanging over the plate.

Jun 8, 2016
Hey @RADcatcher you running out of material or what? 🤣

My kid is 5‘2” and weighs 85 lbs after she eats a dozen donuts...I don’t need her to show how “tough” she is by leaning into one...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My kid is 5‘2” and weighs 85 lbs after she eats a dozen donuts...I don’t need her to show how “tough” she is by leaning into one...
Hmmm never commented stand in the box and get hit...

However
Thats a good post starter question about batting!

How many coaches tell their players to not move and get hit by pitch?

Some rules say no attempt to move gets you first base.
How many say
Take it for the team,
Or
How many say move?

imo attempt to move is a better rule.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Good post.

Defensively- I explain to the infielders that there is no reason to have poor footwork on ground balls because you are scared of the ball. A bad hop is going to hit you regardless if you used bad footwork, or good footwork. Might as well use proper footwork on every ground ball since you were going to get hit either way. Easier said than done, on a hard hit ball right at you.

Honestly, i feel like you get hit more in the infield by playing the ball passively. Field through the ball whenever possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414